EOC Biology Goal 5
24. In a specific ecosystem, the population with the greatest
number of members will be the
- primary consumers
- secondary consumers
25. A steady supply of energy through an ecosystem is
dependent upon a healthy supply of
26. Which pair shows mutualism?
A. squirrel –builds nest—oak tree
B. bee – pollinating flower – feeds on flower nectar
- spider – spins web – pine tree
- tapeworm – intestines – food
27. Which of the following could reduce carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere?
- cutting down more trees
- riding a bike instead of driving
- burn more coal
- increase respiration
28. What happens to energy as it moves through the food
- decreases; then increases at the top
- stays the same throughout the food chain
29. Look at the diagram below. Where did
the pesticide take effect?
30. The graph below shows a population that has reached its
A. growth potentialC. carrying capacity
B. exponential growthD. biotic potential
31. A relationship between a consumer and producer is best
- a snake eating a rodent
- a venus-fly trap eating an insect
- a bird eating an insect
- a zebra eating grass
32. Red-cockaded woodpeckers and long leaf pines were once
found in abundance in NC. Now they are declining due to
- they found a better habitat
- habitat destruction
33. What is the main suspected environmental problem
associated with theburning of fossil fuels?
A. depletion of fresh water
B. global cooling
C. depletion of ozone
D. global warming
34. Which of the following global concerns is indirectly
responsible for all theothers?
A. waste disposal
B. resource depletion
D. poor sanitation
35. An increase in pesticide use has resulted in a decrease in
the local bat population. Which of the following is the
best explanation for the decreased batpopulation?
A. bat food supply decreased
- infection destroyed most of the bat population
- many bats moved into the area
- bat food supply increased
36. Which statement describes why pesticides are said to “move up
A. pesticides have a greater effect on larger animals than on
- top predators often accumulate the pesticides contained in the bodiesof their prey
- birds and predatory mammals are not affected by pesticides
- pesticides kill insects and other target pests before they can absorb the poison
37. Land and water absorb the sun’s energy when it reaches the
earth’s surface.The Earth in turn radiates some of its warmth back
out toward space. However, certain gases in our atmosphere are
able to trap this warmth and keep it from escaping into outer
space. This process is called the greenhouse effect. Carbon
dioxide is one example of these heat trapping gases. From this
information, what can you infer?
- human activities that release more carbon dioxide into the air may result in higher global temperatures in the future.
- If carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere continue to rise, more and more heat will escape into space and global temperatures will fall.
- Without greenhouse gases in our atmosphere, temperatures on earth would be significantly warmer.
- It is called the greenhouse effect because carbon dioxide is
an important nutrient for plants in greenhouses