Chief Investment Officer
Rees-Jones Holdings LLC
Position Specification – Page 2
Position Specification Chief Investment Officer
Rees-Jones Holdings LLC
Our client, Trevor Rees-Jones, is the Manager of Rees-Jones Holdings LLC and ranks in the Top 100 of the Forbes 400 Richest People in America in 2011. He is currently looking to recruit a Chief Investment Officer to manage his and his family’s personal wealth as well as the assets of the The Rees-Jones Foundation, which was started in 2006 by Trevor and his wife, Jan. This is a newly created position based in Dallas, TX.
The Companies & Family interests
Chief Oil and Gas
Founded in 1994 by Trevor Rees-Jones, Chief Oil & Gas is a Dallas, Texas-based, privately held, independent oil and gas company engaged in the exploration, development and production of oil and natural gas reserves throughout the United States. Chief’s primary focus has been developing natural gas from unconventional shale fields. Chief entered the Barnett Shale in Texas early in the development and was one of the largest producers before selling its Barnett assets in 2006 and 2008. Chief entered the Marcellus Shale in Pennsylvania, the largest natural gas field in the U.S., in 2007 and was one of the largest leaseholders and most active operators until selling a majority of its properties in 2011. Chief retains ownership and operation of a significant Marcellus leasehold position and its pipeline company, Chief Gathering. Chief and various Rees-Jones entities own substantial other oil and gas interests and continue to be active in the oil and gas business.
For more information: www.chiefog.com
The Rees-Jones Foundation
The Rees-Jones Foundation is a private foundation established primarily to benefit the people of North Texas. The Foundation’s mission is to provide support and funding for programs that will help improve in tangible ways the quality of life and life circumstances of the people it serves, with special emphasis on assisting children and their families. The primary areas of interests are: community improvement, education, human services, medical care services, mental health services and youth programs.
The Foundation was founded in 2006 by Jan and Trevor Rees-Jones, and Thornton (T.) Hardie III serves as President.
For more information: www.rees-jonesfoundation.org
Chief Partners LP
Chief Partners LP is a real estate investment management company founded by Trevor Rees-Jones in 2007. Bill Vanderstraaten serves as President of the firm.
The firm focuses primarily on land, retail, industrial, multi-family, office, industrial and medical office deals with income producing and development properties with an equity investment range of $2M to $7M. The firm has a market capitalization of $720M and has over 40 investments of which 28 are income producing and 11 are in development.
The Chief Investment Officer (CIO) will report directly to Trevor Rees-Jones and be responsible for the liquid assets of the family and the foundation assets. This is a new position and the goal is to separate out the non-oil and gas assets of the family, along with the foundation portfolio, and institute a diversified “endowment-like” portfolio management strategy for these assets. Historically the family has utilized a slate of external wealth managers and is now interested in building a world class internal investment team. From an asset allocation perspective, the risk profile of the liquid portfolios should take into account the additional oil and gas and real estate assets.
The CIO will work closely with other stakeholders across various lines of business. These will include T. Hardie (President of The Rees-Jones Foundation), Jan Rees-Jones (in the context of the family’s personal wealth and her role as Co-Founder of the Foundation) and Bill Vanderstraaten (as President of Chief Partners LP).
· Evaluate the existing asset mix and recommend, implement and manage a long term “endowment-like” investment strategy that reflects the long term needs of the family and the foundation.
· Build an appropriately sized team of 4 – 5 people to support this investment effort.
· As a member of the Investment Committee, work closely with the Manager and Investment Committee in setting investment goals and strategies.
· Provide on-goingadministration of the family’s investment activities. Monitor and evaluate portfolio objectives and asset allocation guidelines.
· Modify as necessary the overall investment strategy including asset allocation strategy and risk management parameters to deliver “endowment type” returns through the family’s externally managed investments.
· Ensure appropriate guidelines, risk management and other control functions are adhered to.
· Build and maintain a consensus among the Investment Committee and other stake holders in the family entities regarding investment policies, strategy and approach; work closely with these groups or individuals to provide investment support to all of the Rees-Jones entities.
· Lead and manage the investment team in the evaluation and monitoring of external investment managers and potential new managers. The CIO should also foster a collaborative culture between the Investment Office and other business lines across all entities.
· Lead the investment team to foster a team oriented environment which aligns incentives with performance, enhances professionalism.
· Provide the CEO and the Investment Committee with thorough monthly and quarterly performance reports.
The successful candidate will possess significant experience as a Chief/Senior Investment Officer within the asset management, wealth management, family office, foundation or endowment arenas. He/she will have a demonstrated record of investment achievement, with a minimum of fifteen years of relevant work experience. Additional qualifications will include:
· A commitment to achieving excellence in investment performance, plus a reputation for sound investment judgment and risk management.
· Well developed interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with several stakeholders, including Investment Committee members, sophisticated investment professionals and senior individuals across various business interests.
· Demonstrated leadership skills managing investment/financial staff with an emphasis on motivation and retention.
· Excellent presentation and communication skills.
· A broad understanding of all forms of investment vehicles and asset classes acquired through a background of investment and asset allocation responsibilities at a high level of sophistication.
· Demonstrated ability in developing and implementing investment policy, asset allocation strategy, and risk management techniques.
· Successful experience in identifying, accessing and screening investment opportunities in a broad array of asset classes, especially in private equity, hedge funds, and other alternative investments.
· Highest level of integrity, honesty and loyalty and a straight-forward attitude that is required in working within a family enterprise with an entrepreneurial culture.
· Advanced degree such as an MBA and/or CFA highly preferred.
· A passion for investing success and the ability to achieve top quartile endowment/foundation like-returns.
· Strong work ethic blended with a good sense of humor and effective listening skills.
· Flexible and adaptable when advocating recommendations and providing investment alternatives; willing and able to engage in thoughtful, spirited debate (often via e mail).
· An interest in living in the Dallas area but flexibility to travel (nationally and globally) as required.
(212) 710-8840 / Anne Keyser
(617) 491 1115