Position Description / Central Gippsland Health Service
Service: Finance / Position Title: Account Payable Clerk
Classification level: HS 1 / Reports to: Finance Manager
Central Gippsland Health Service (CGHS) is a subregional health service and the major provider of health and aged care services in the Wellington Shire. We serve an immediate population of approximately 42,000 in Central Gippsland, and reach a wider community in East Gippsland and parts of South Gippsland in terms of more specialised services such as perinatal services, critical care and surgery.
CGHS is unusual being both a sub-regional and an integrated health service, providing a broad range of primary, secondary and tertiary services, including a comprehensive range of HACC services, through to adult intensive, coronary care and level 2 neonatal care.
Acute services include a full time emergency department, critical care unit, neonatal critical care unit, operating theatres, day procedure unit, and oncology and dialysis services in addition to general medical and surgical services and subacute services including rehabilitation.
The health service has acute campuses at Sale, Maffra and Heyfield; community and home support services are provided throughout the Shire of Wellington (with the exception of Yarram and District) with centers in Maffra, Sale, Heyfield, Rosedale and Loch Sport. Residential aged care services are provided at Sale, Maffra and Heyfield.
The Finance department provides a variety of financial services to the organisation, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, management accounting, financial accounting as well as a wide variety of financial reporting. The Finance department plays an integral role in providing financial services to both internal & external customers of CGHS. / The structure:
Decision making / delegation
This position is at operational level and will have input into planning and decision making processes as part of the service team. The position reports to the Finance Manager who holds a delegated authority to the level of Department Head/Manager in accordance with “CGHS Instrument of Delegation”.
The work context:
The accounts payable clerk works in a team environment that requires the incumbent to interact effectively with in the Finance department and with internal and external customers of the Central Gippsland Health Service.
The purpose of the position:
To take primary responsibility for performing the accounts payable function and supporting the provision of finance services within CGHS in conjunction with other finance team members and to achieve the organisation’s Mission, Vision and Values. The position will ensure best practice in accounting, service delivery and efficiency.
The key responsibilities of the role:
- Deal with all accounts payable enquiries.
- Process invoices in timely manner consistent with the monthly accounting cycle
- Support the payment of creditors within established payment terms
- Support the payment of creditors within ATO legislation.
- Support the payment of creditors consistent with CGHS instrument of delegation
- Monitor and support taxation issues
- Develop and maintain financial data bases
- Assist with cash flow control consistent with finance department guidelines
- Follow up on unpresented cheques consistent with finance department guidelines
- Undertake reconciliation of monthly creditor statements
- Perform mail and banking duties when required and as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with all members of the multidisciplinary team to facilitate integrated person-centred care leading to timely and effective client discharge.
- Actively participate in quality activities and accreditation processes in accordance with standard practice.
- Manage OH&S consistent with overall OH&S programs, policies and procedures within CGHS and also: look after your own health; look out for the health and safety of others in the workplace; follow safe work practices; report hazards and injuries; participate in agency health promotion initiatives and support healthy lifestyle choices for staff
- Contribute extensively to the development of an annual capability development plan designed to enable you to:
- achieve your personal goals and objectives;
- live ethically within your personal value system; and
- enthusiastically support CGHS to achieve our strategic and service delivery goals and objectives
- Support patient, client and community participation in decisions in all aspects of the service
- Work within agency policies, procedures and code of conduct
- Participate in mandatory education as it relates to your specific roles and responsibilities. This may include:
- Fire Safety
- Manual Handling / Back Care
- Minimal/No Lift (As appropriate)
- CPR (As appropriate)
- Infection Control – as it relates to the employees designated work role
Typical work schedule: Monday to Friday 38 Hours per week (Job share position)
Qualifications: Certificate 3 in accounting/ business certificate
Required experience / other (not covered by leadership and technical capabilities)
THINKS CREATIVELY AND SOLVES PROBLEMS EFFECTIVELY
- Understands the work area’s direction and how it delivers its service
- Links own work to the health service’s work priorities
- Applies creative approaches to issues and problems.
- Shows judgement, intelligence and common sense.
- Responds to client needs and organizes resources
- Shares expertise and uses technology effectively
- Adapts to and implements change
- Delivers on intended results.
- Demonstrates professionalism and acts ethically
- Engages with risk and shows personal courage and resilience
- Takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives and progressing work
- Demonstrates self-awareness and a commitment to personal development.
- Communicates clearly
- Listens, understands and adapts to the audience
- Negotiates effectively.
- Builds internal and external relationships
- Values individual differences and diversity
- Works co-operatively
- Guides people
Accounts Payable (mapped to: BSBADM309A &FNSICACC301B)
- Is able to process accounts payable transactions accurately and in a timely manner.
- Actively reviews accounts payable balances to ensure that incorrect entries are identified and rectified.
- Supplier Invoice discrepancies are identified, investigated and rectified
- Supplier invoices are approved in accordance with the organisations instrument of delegation.
- Applies knowledge of organisational policies and procedures including the instrument of delegation.
- Applies good proof reading skills to ensure that transactions processed are accurate and are consistent to the source documentation.
- Practices within the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) requirements in terms of Goods and Services Tas (GST)
- Prepares ad hoc reports as required.
- Is able to select appropriate technology and software applications to achieve task outcomes.
- Is accurately able to plan, draft, review and finalise documents.
- Check and verify supporting documentation to ensure completeness.
- Be able to enter and process data into a financial system.
- Ability to select and run interim reports to achieve task outcome.
- Ability to perform basic Financial Calculations using available software and available resources
- Observe and communicate in a polite, professional and friendly manner using appropriate language, tone and non-verbal cues
- Use active listening and questioning to facilitate effective two-way communication
- Identify and take all opportunities to enhance the quality of service
- Ability to relate to people from a range of social, cultural and ethic backgrounds and physical and mental abilities
Continuous Improvement (mapped to: BSBFLM309C)
- Continuously looks for and contributes to continuous improvement opportunities.
- Understands and effectively uses CGHS “Riskman Q” quality improvement system.
- Understand the importance of, and work in accordance with OHS legislation, standards and codes of practice.
- Maintains CGHS OH&S system within responsibility areas.
- Maintains procedures for identifying hazards, and assessing and controlling risk, including using “Riskman”, incident reporting and risk management system.
- Maintains a quality OH&S management system.
- Communicate effectively about safe work practices within your service team environment.
- Contribute and evaluate risk control activities within your service area.
- Implement emergency response procedures within the scope of your training and competence.
- Effectively operates a personal computer
- Commits to on-going professional and capability development consistent with the CGHS Workforce Capability Framework.
- Access, complete and record your professional development opportunities.
- Ensure that you have read the Strategic Plan for CGHS and participate in the development of a workforce capable of meeting the services delivery and strategic goals and objectives.
- Effectively demonstrated behavior in accordance with CGHS policies and procedures in relation to role responsibilities, inclusive of organizational requirements, for example:
- Access, Use and Disclosure of Information
- Equal Opportunity
- Whistleblowers Protection
- Dispute Resolution – Grievance Procedure
- Workplace Bullying and Harassment
- The Privacy Principles
- Code of Conduct for Victorian public sector employees
- Manage your own behavior in a way which enables sustained performance and an appropriate work/life balance.
- Actively supports CGHS organizational culture through role modeling CGHS organisational values.
- Creates learning opportunities
- Facilitates and promotes learning
- Provides support and supervision to relevant staff
- Shown knowledge and commitment to excellent customer service.
- Achieves high levels of service excellence.
- Expressed an understanding of what is expected in relation to written and verbal communication within the work area and ensures communications contain necessary information to achieve their purpose.
- Showed professional empathy.
- Fire Safety (mapped to: FPICOR2204B)
- Manual Handling/Back care (mapped to: HLTHSE204C)
- Minimal/No Lift (mapped to: HLTHSE204C)
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (mapped to: HLTCPR201B)
- Infection Control (mapped to HLTIN301C)
I confirm that I have read and understand the above information and that this document forms part of my contract of employment.
Employee’s Name: ______
Employee’s Signature: ______
Director’s signature: ______
Prompt Doc No: <#doc_num> v<#ver_num> Entered on PROMPT: <#issue_date>Review & Update by: <#next_review_date>Page 1 of 6
TemplateW v002 / UNCONTROLLED WHEN DOWNLOADED