Constructed Response Marking Scheme
Grade Level: 9
Item Description: Paxolai Video Game
1 point: (The “answer” point)
• Any answer that indicates the cost would be less if the 25% discount was applied first should be given a point.
• Student responses such as “decreased”, “goes down”, “less”, “cheaper”, etc.
• Given the specific directions in this prompt, only score this point if the response is placed in (or near) the answer line; if an incorrect answer is indicated in the answer line but a correct answer is stated in the process box, this particular point is not earned.
• Student provides evidence of developing 2 procedures of the final price with each procedure using correct reasoning; calculations may have minor errors or general estimations of final price; again, correct reasoning means the student understands percent.
• Student sets up an explanation demonstrating an accurate understanding of percent at deriving the answer without all calculations presented.
• Student accurately provides reasoning of a final price for one procedure but does not provide any evidence of a second procedure or comparison to a second procedure.
• Student provides evidence of two procedures but only 1 procedure indicates accurate reasoning. (A student’s understanding of percent is used to assess reasoning.)
• Student provides a completely incorrect explanation or justification; response cannot be interpreted or there is no response.
• Student does not understand percent as related to the question.
• Student provides unconnected or inaccurate calculations as reasoning for response.
• Student is unable to provide evidence of understanding the problem.
The Milwaukee Mathematics Partnership (MMP), an initiative of the Milwaukee Partnership Academy (MPA), is supported with funding from the National Science Foundation.