Carpentry and Cabinetmaking
South Central College
Spring Advisory Meeting - Tuesday, January 24, 2012
6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
- Advisory Committee Membership – Welcome and Introductions: Jon Meyer opened the meeting with welcome and general introduction.
- Members Absent:Josh Alman, Dale Granneman, Denny Hackfeld and Darlene Meillier.
- Members Present:Steven Schmidt, Al Ernst, Jan Gora, Orland Anderka and Jon Meyer. SCC representation: Jeff Miller, Marc Pilcher and Dr. Nordblom by telephone.
- Approval of minutes from last meeting.Motion was made 2nd and carried to accept minutes of last meeting as presented.
- Updates on present class projects.Marc informed the committee of present progress of class and projects. All is going well and both projects are in the sheetrock stage. Marc also updated the committee on steps taken to advertise the new 1 year carpentry program. Letters have been sent to all alumni asking them to spread the word that we will be up and running for Fall of 2012. We have also been advertising on radio, papers and by sending out approximately 100 flash drives filled with program information and many pictures of past projects high school instructors and people of influence to students.
- By-Laws for Adv. Committee (See Attached
- Presentation, correction and additions:
- Acceptance and approval: Motion was made by Steven Schmidt to approveas discussed make changes by removing the word “Vocational” from presented Bylaws. Also to add a #8 to Article 1 Section C to read “Provide support for curriculum development and sustainability.” 2nd by Jan Gora. Revised Bylaws will be sent to committee by email after revision is completed.
- New Curriculum presentation
- Presentation of AAS Degree for Carpentry
- Discussion of Degree
- Revisions: Acceptance and approval: A motion was made by Jan Gora to accept AAS Degree as printed and presented. 2nd by Al Ernst.
- Fall planning for 2012: Marc updated the committee on project potentials for fall of 2012.
- Program plans and ideas for Projects
- Rick Cashin
- Private party
- Committee Ideas: After explanation was completed it was suggested that we send out an RFP to the public to include but not limiting it to Contractors, Investors and Businesses to fund a project for the fall of 2012. It was also suggested that we develop 6 basic plans to build. Student input would be encouraged but not absolute in the determination of the project plan.
- Other: Jeff Miller suggested that in the future when we send out more flash drives we include general college information such as financial aid forms, transcript request forms and other pertinent student information forms. It was suggested that we follow up with Andria on students that had applied last fall to see if they may still be looking for a carpentry program to attend. Jeff also commented on how CMI and CFSU have become a Center for Training and that there may be possibilities that the carpentry program may be able post some advertisements in the organization to help bring in students. Steve Schmidt suggested we contact Mascord.com on getting some plans to help on arriving at our 6 basic plans to build from.
- Adjournment: Motion was made to adjourn the meeting by Jeff Miller and seconded by Steven Schmidt.