CAM Tech Introduces the LASER MASTER
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- IMAGINE THE OPPORTUNITIES
- HOW WILL THE LASER MASTER MAKE MONEY FOR ME?
- HOW EASY IS IT TO USE MY LASER MASTER?
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PRODUCE AN ETCHING?
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF LASER ETCHING?
- HOW WILL CAM TECH SUPPORT ME?
- HOW QUICKLY WILL I MAKE A RETURN ON MY INVESTMENT?
CAM Tech Industries Inc.
2707 58 Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta, T2C 0B4, Canada
ph: (403) 236-4464 fax: (403) 279-4206 toll free USA & Canada: 800-514-8188
- IMAGINE THE OPPORTUNITIES
Imagine the business opportunities of a machine that can etch permanent, high quality images on virtually any material.
Imagine a CNC machine so user-friendly that a computer novice can learn how to create photo-perfect laser etchings with just a few hours of training.
Now, imagine a machine with virtually no consumable costs…no ink, no film, no tooling, and extremely low maintenance costs. Your only expenses are for electricity and the operator.
Finally, imagine a machine that will place you at the cutting edge of your industry, opening up profitable new markets and diversifying the product line you can offer your new and existing clients.
This is exactly what the CAM TECH LASER MASTER can do for you and your company. The LASER MASTER combines the latest laser technology with the ingenuity and innovation of CAM TECH CNC machinery. What you get is a total turnkey solution that will open up the future for your business.
2.HOW WILL THE LASER MASTER MAKE MONEY FOR ME?
Naturally, your number one concern when purchasing new capital equipment is how…and how soon…your investment will produce profit for your company.
How Does CAM Tech Address this Concern?
The LASER MASTER has been designed as a complete turnkey system for your new or existing business, allowing you to be up and running and generating revenues as soon as the install and training process is complete. CAM Tech will even provide you with the necessary software in advance of the install so that you can familiarize yourself with the file creation process before the CAM Tech trainer arrives at your facility. We can even assist you with digital images and marketing expertise that will help you put together your initial promotional literature before your machine arrives.
The hybrid nature of the LASER MASTER provides you the opportunity to diversify your product line beyond the traditional stone etching application (more on this later). In today’s increasingly competitive marketplace where specialization and custom requests are becoming the norm, the LASER MASTER will distinguish you from your competition and keep you at the forefront of your industry. With the capability for mass production or high-end custom work, you will have the tools and versatility to grow your business in directions you may not yet have imagined possible.
While this technology is still relatively new, our existing users have proved that the market is highly receptive to the wide range of product made with the Laser Master. The uniqueness and appeal of laser etching allows you to command a high price for your product and to realize the attractive margins that promise an early return on your investment.
We believe that the Laser Master will increasingly establish itself as an indispensable business tool in a growing range of industries. Investing in a LASER MASTER now will position your company to capitalize on the steadily growing consumer demand as the laser etching market expands and matures.
A Model of Profitability
- Excellent Value Added Capabilities
- Virtually no Consumable and Maintenance Costs
- Minimal Operating Costs
Imagine being able to turn worthless scraps of throwaway material into saleable product. This is exactly what some of our customers have done. One company turns sinkhole cutouts from granite countertops into customized family coats of arms or decorative address plates. Now that is value added!
Other customers add anywhere from 500-2000% value to monument stone or stone tiles and glass for custom floors, wall murals, kitchen backsplashes, fireplaces, bathrooms, and more. The LASER MASTER will do all of this with ease.
The profit potential from any piece of equipment can be easily swallowed up by the costs of consumables and labour. In fact, over the years many companies spend far more on the consumables than the original purchase price of the equipment (sandblasting would be a prime example).
The LASER MASTER is truly a model of efficiency in this regard. The laser head that comes with your system is factory rated for around 30,000 hours of use, at which point it can be recharged at a nominal cost. That translates to around 14 years of 40 hour weeks of non-stop operation. Electricity is the only significant operating cost, and at a few dollars a day, this has only a minor impact on your margins. Labour costs are also minimal as the LASER MASTER runs without operator supervision. For example, you can start running a large wall mural before you leave work for the day. When you come back the next morning, the job is done and is ready to be sent out to your customer. Maintenance costs are primarily limited to grease and lubricants for the drive system and, as such, are negligible.
A few customer examples of the profitability of the LASER MASTER:
A marble fireplace with a black marble insert etched with a family coat of arms:
Material cost:$ 10.00
12 round marble plates etched with beer company logos for a pub:
Material cost:$ 180.00
Family photos (baby pictures, wedding photos, etc) etched forever on black granite tiles:
Average material cost:$ 11.00
Average sale price:$250.00
Average value added:$239.00
A 4’x8’ (1.3m x 2.5m) wall mural on black slate for a hotel lobby:
Material cost:$ 160.00
Some SUCCESS STORIES from LASER MASTER owners:
CAM Tech hears many business success stories from LASER MASTER owners. Here are just a few of the more impressive accomplishments of our customers:
- One company etched a mural for Christies Auction House that sold for $17,000.
- Another company installed an 8’x32’ (2.5m x 10m) wall mural in a U.S. State University. This was produced in sections using a LASER MASTER with a work area of 4’x8’. Sale price: $40,000. The same company has also installed a 22’ x 53’ (7m x 17m) religious mural on a church wall.
- Yet another LASER MASTER owner won a contract to supply 3,200 square feet of etched glass for an expansion project at a major metropolitan zoo. This contract alone paid for the 2 machines they have purchased to date.
While such accomplishments are testimony to the vision and marketing skills of our customers, they all agree that the cornerstone of their success is the creative and technological edge provided by the LASER MASTER.
How do I promote and market my LASER MASTER product?
As in any business, having the latest technology will always give you a distinct edge. When this is combined with a creative and dynamic marketing strategy, you have the recipe for success.
We have a few suggestions to help you to promote this new technology in both traditional and untapped markets, which will ensure that your enterprise becomes profitable in both the short and long term.
- Immediately promote your new laser etched products to your existing client base. This provides a great reason to stay in close touch with established customers. Their feedback will also drive your product in new directions you may not yet have considered.
- Contact architects in your area and get them excited about the new possibilities for walls, floors, and other decorative design features.
- Contact interior designers, home builders, and general contractors and convince them of the high-end value added features they can offer their residential and business clients: address plates, murals, window panels, glass dividers, shower doors, decorative granite inserts in hardwood floors, etc.
- Contact local memorial companies to inform them of the opportunity for etched headstones, granite inserts, or larger monuments.
- Contact sign companies to showcase the signage possibilities of the LASER MASTER.
- Contact glass companies and show them how laser etching offers far superior output compared with traditional sandblasting technology.
- Contact a wide range of other industries such as souvenir manufacturers, photography studios and photo finishers, trophy companies, furniture makers, corporate gift suppliers, etc.
Providing such companies with samples and marketing literature will help to get them excited about how you can improve their business. After that, you can sit back and let their sales people bring the work to you!
3.HOW EASY IS IT TO USE MY LASER MASTER?
Once you have taken delivery of your LASER MASTER, your start-up is easy!
A CAM Tech service engineer will install the system and provide you with the training you need to get your investment working for you immediately. This will include machine operation, preventive maintenance, safety, and basic training on each of the design software packages supplied with the machine.
By the time the trainer leaves, you will be able to comfortably follow the simple process of creating and running a laser etched file (see next page).
4 SIMPLE STEPS TO PROFIT/ STEP 1: SCAN
Simply scan any image into the photo-editing software provided.
You may also use digital photos or CAD designs.
Average time = 1-2 minutes
/ STEP 2: EDIT IMAGE
Edit your image using a multitude of tool options…crop, resize, adjust brightness & contrast, sharpen edges, remove background, add text, etc.
Average time = 5-10 minutes
/ STEP 3: SIMULATE IMAGE
Simulate what your image will look like when laser etched. Make further minor editing changes as desired before processing. Print a copy for your customer’s approval.
Average time = 2-5 minutes
/ STEP 4: SAVE & SEND
Transfer the engrave-ready file from your design computer to the machine computer. Open the file in CAM Tech’s WinCNC controller. Set your start coordinates, speed, and laser power and you’re ready to go!
Average time = 2-3 minutes
TOTAL TIME FOR DESIGN & SETUP = 10-20 minutes
Naturally, you will find that the more you use the system, the better and faster you will become. Typically we find that our customers are in a position to actually teach us a few tricks after they've had their LASER MASTER for a few months. We hope you’ll soon be in a position to do the same!
4.HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PRODUCE AN ETCHING?
The actual time it takes for the LASER MASTER to produce an etched image is determined by 2 key factors…the resolution in DPI (dots per inch) and the size of the material you are working on. Generally, a higher DPI setting will result in a higher quality output with correspondingly longer production times.
At these higher resolution settings, the LASER MASTER produces the highest quality etching available on the market. None of our competitors have been able to match the results CAM Tech has achieved, regardless of how high they set their resolutions
- A typical 12”x12” (300mmx300mm) photo-realistic image can be etched at 200 dpi in granite in as little as 15 minutes.
- Etching larger images will lower your production time per square foot (because less time is lost in acceleration/deceleration). For example, a 4’x 8’ (1.3m x 2.5m) image can be etched at speeds as fast as 10 minutes per square foot.
The ability to toolpath and cut g-code vector files (either as a surface etch or as a through cut in materials such as sandblast stencil, plastics, wood veneers, leather, fabrics, etc.) is another quality that distinguishes CAM Tech from its main competitors. It is also a capability that allows LASER MASTER owners to diversify their product line and keep their machine busy making money.
The key factors determining production speeds in this area are machine feed rate, laser power setting, intricacy of the file, and the type and thickness of the material. A couple of examples of vector cutting are as follows:
MaterialThickness (inch / mm)Speed (ipm / mmpm)Laser Power
Sandblast stencil1/16” / 1.550 / 127035%
Wood veneer1/32” / 0.9100 / 254020%
Leather 1/16” / 1.550 / 127045%
Acrylic 3/16” / 4.530 / 7690%
GraniteAny200 / 508050%
The above estimates are for illustrative purposes only and do not indicate the machine limitations. The wood veneer, for example, could be cut at higher speed with a higher power setting depending on the intricacy of the file.
- WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF LASER ETCHING?
How does laser etching work?
A laser delivers a large amount of energy to the point on which it is focussed. Because the material cannot absorb the heat as fast as it is being delivered, this results in a small explosion (burn) at the point of impact. The result is a contrast in colour between the area that has been lasered and the area that hasn’t. This creates your image on stone, glass, wood, plastic, or other materials you may be working with.
The quality of image you get is dependant and the type and consistency of the material you are using. With granite, for example, it is generally better to use a dark stone with consistent colouring and as little mica fleck as possible. This will give you the contrast you need to provide the best possible image. With wood it is best to use a low grain product such as maple or cherry.
Your CAM Tech sales representative will be able to advise you further about which materials work well and which don’t.
What are the benefits of this process?
- It provides “photo quality” images on a wide range of materials. The detail and resolution of laser etched images is far superior to anything that could be produced either by hand etching or sandblasting.
- Laser etching is a clean and quiet process requiring virtually no consumables and minimal labour. Compare this again with sandblasting, which is a dirty, noisy, and time-consuming process with significant consumable costs.
- You can produce very large images in a relatively short time. For example, you can make a 4’ x 8’ mural (1.3 x 2.5m) overnight while you sleep. It would take a hand etcher days of work to produce something this large.
- Mass production of the same image on multiple pieces is simple with laser etching.
- Laser etched images will never fade and are UV resistant on material such as granite and glass.
- On outdoor granite installations the laser etching is still perfectly visible when wet (an impregnator must be applied to the etching).
- HOW WILL CAM TECH SUPPORT ME?
Warranty & Service
When you purchase a CAM Tech machine, you are joining a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to making your business a success.
CAM Tech offers a full 12-month warranty on all of its products. In the unlikely event that a technical problem occurs with your Laser Master, you need not worry. CAM Tech and its authorized agents around the world are right there to help with any issues that may arise. CAM Tech has been in business since 1971 and currently supports thousands of CNC machines in over 50 countries. Our Technical Support Department is accessible by phone, fax, and email to deal with your questions and concerns. In addition, our dealers are all factory trained in the installation, training, and support of our machines and can offer a fast response to any problems you may encounter.
CAM Tech helps your business in a number of other ways:
- Financing: Contact your CAM Tech sales representative for assistance with arranging lease financing on your LASER MASTER.
- Marketing Expertise: In addition to the suggestions listed in this document, your CAM Tech sales representative will be able to assist with ideas for making money with your LASER MASTER .
- Sales Leads: CAM Tech receives a steady flow of inquiries (from tradeshows, advertising, and our web site) from customers who want laser etching done for them. We forward these inquiries to our nearest LASER MASTER customer as a free service.
- Tips & Tricks: As we learn of new applications or innovative techniques for using the machine or software, we will share these with existing LASER MASTER owners (either through a newsletter or our web site) in order to keep you current on the ever growing possibilities of laser etching.