Board of Directors Meeting
2.00 pm Wednesday 23 August 2017
Buckerell Lodge Hotel, Topsham Road, Exeter
Minutes for Publication
Present: Ian Reynolds (Chair), Jonathan Parsons, Peter Macklin, Pat Britton, Chris Dilley, Donald Gordon, Phil Johnston
Minutes:Tracey Baker1 / Apologies
None / Action
2 / Minutes of Last Meeting 28 June 2017
These were agreed without alteration.
3 / Matters Arising
3.1 / Chime Foundation
Carried forward, as one trustee is away on holiday. / PM
3.2 / Cost Improvement Plan
The report was discussed. JP has a conference call with Emma Wood of SWASFT planned for next week. The new Health & Safety Officer will need support and training, and is already booked on a H&S course in September. Also space at Gladstone House could be utilised for telephone reviews, with potential savings against the Devon Docs contract. IR suggested some other aspects that could be looked at, e.g. localities and travel time. Differences between RIC and open fit were discussed and JP will forward CD more info. / JP
4 / MD Report (See MD Report, UKAS & CQC Reports, Serious Incident Report & Risk Register)
4.1 / 1.1 Contract - Contract negotiations were discussed, including the likelihood of this being rolled over again next year, what areas it could cover and similar circumstances in West Hampshire. PJ suggested inviting Caroline Wright to Barton Surgery for a visit and informal chat, which PJ & JP will discuss. / PJ/JP
4.2 / 1.2 Barton - Lists are starting to be filled at Barton after the Open Day but DG advised that when some patients ring DRSS, they are being referred to Torquay rather than offered Chime at Dawlish. DG will let JP know of the exact difficulties and he will speak to the DRSS Manager to see if this can be resolved. / DG/JP
4.3 / 1.5 CQC - JP has been liaising with the CQC inspector who has oversight of inspections and feedback will be submitted to them by tomorrow. We will need to add some set items to the board agenda or MD Report, including Risk Register and Safety & Quality. He will also ask the Band 7 Leads to provide updates for their areas, for each MD Report. JP and PM will update the Risk Register. / JP/PM
4.4 / 1.7 Whistle Blowing - The matter was discussed. JP advised two Freedom to Speak Up Guardians have now been appointed (Rachel Lynas and Sam Humphries) and the Policy revised. The board was asked if everyone was happy with how the situation was handled, the information provided, and the policy revisions. All approved.
This led to a discussion as to whether the board minutes should be published on our website, in the interests of openness. The RD&E, for instance, produce two parts to their minutes, one published, one confidential, although other SE UK members don’t seem to publish at all. JP will arrange for an additional set of minutes to be provided at the next meeting, with any confidential matters removed, for the board’s consideration. / JP
4.5 / 1.8 Serious Incident - JP outlined the case to ensure all board members were aware. All were happy the situation was dealt with in a correct way and with the report.
5 / Wonford Refurbishment
KW has informed the soundproofed clinic rooms at Wonford need refurbishment. Although we rent the rooms from the RD&E, this is our responsibility. IR requested a practical 5-year plan for the board to consider, which JP and PM will arrange. If the tender is successful, we should revisit new HQ plans. / JP/PM
6 / Finance (See Finance Report & Management Accounts)
6.1 / A breakdown of commercial sales versus RBL was discussed.
PJ agreed to provide a costed marketing proposal aimed at boosting private sector sales for the next Board meeting / PJ
6.2 / The draft accounts arrived yesterday. There are a few queries to deal with but the figures remain unchanged. PM will email them to all for comments and if okay, the board gave approval for PM and JP to sign them. / PM
7 / Marketing (See Marketing Report)
7.1 / 1.0 Website - The website is in need of a refresh, which would cost in the region of £7-8,000 but meanwhile we are amending the content we have if needed.
7.3 / 4.0 Barton - PJ passed around two leaflets (AQP and Barton Health Hub) for the board.
7.4 / PJ is currently conducting a marketing audit to map which marketing activities are working and also working on a questionnaire to send with the new newsletter. We are also taking part in a Members Day at the RD&E next month.
8 / Whistle Blowing (see Whistle Blowing Policy)
See MD Report 4.4.
9 / Staff Council (See SC Minutes)
DG reminded the board of the Away Day to which they are invited on 11 September 2017. It will be based in Exeter City Centre.
10 / Any Other Business
IR asked the Non-Executive Directors to stay behind after the meeting finished to give feedback about the board meeting, the Chair and Managing Director, as to how anything can be changed or improved.
Approved as a true and accurate record of the Board Meeting held on 23 August 2017.
Ian Reynolds (Chair)
Date of Next Meeting Wednesday 18 October 2017
2pm Buckerell Lodge, Topsham Road, Exeter