/ Job Description and Person Specification
School: / Electronics and Computer Science
Post Title: / Software Engineer
Career Pathway and Level: / ERE / TAE / MSA / CAO
ERE Category / Academic Posts / Non-Academic Posts
Academic / Research / Teaching / Enterprise / Education Development
Post Responsible to (and Level):
Posts Responsible for (and Level): / Professor in WAIS Group, ECS
To undertake applied software development involving the EPrints software using LAMP (Linux. Apache, MySQL, Perl). Undertake the creation and support of custom repositories utilising the EPrints software. Provide technical support and training on the software. Assist the team in the administration of EPrints servers running custom repositories.
For further information on EPrints software see
Key Accountabilities/Primary Responsibilities:
- To undertake applied software development using LAMP (Linux. Apache, MySQL, Perl) involving the EPrints software and the creation of new repositories that use the EPrints software. This will involve much of the software lifecycle, including requirements elicitation from users, analysis versus core EPrints capabilities, design and implementation of new features, testing and release.
- To provide support to owners of repositories using the EPrints software. This could involve resolving a specific operational issue or problem determination of a defect in the EPrints software.
- To prepare and give technical presentations on the EPrints software to existing and potential users of the software and at conferences and workshops.
- Assist the team in the administration of EPrints servers.
- Keeping the team "knowledge base" up to date, formalising and documenting projects and development processes and maintaining information in the issue tracking system to help manage support requests and track project progress.
Internal & External Relationships:
- Internal as a member of project teams, the post holder will be responsible for defined tasks and will co-ordinate the day-to-day activities of any other staff working on these tasks in a team-based environment.
- Externally the post holder will undertake technical liaison with academic and non academic staff working for project partners on EPrint software deployment projects and in support of existing EPrints repositories.
- Occasional short-term travel to project meetings within the UK and internationally (normally within the EU). Attending national and international conferences.
Criteria / Essential / Desirable / How to be assessed
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
Degree in Computer Science or related discipline and/or proven industrial experience of software development.
Postgraduate qualification (MSc or PhD) in a relevant area
Strong software development skills. Solid Object Oriented (OO) design and development skills
Significant and demonstrable commercial or academic experience of development of innovative software solutions.
Experience of implementing server-side Web technologies using LAMP (Linux. Apache, MySQL, Perl)
Understanding of security access control technologies; building workflow services, API design.
Experience of providing technical support to IT organisations and/or academic departments.
Knowledge of systems administration of servers running LAMP (Linux. Apache, MySQL, Perl)
Ability to establish quality and testing procedures to deliver quality solutions to project partners and be responsive to any issues they raise. / Yes
Yes / Yes
Yes / CV
Planning and Organising:
Ability to schedule their own and the work of others to meet partner expectations and minimise impact of partner organisations.
Able to prioritise tasks / Yes
Yes / Interview
Problem Solving and Initiative:
Able to understand complex problems and apply specialist knowledge to solve them / Yes / CV, Interview
Management and Teamwork:
Able to collaborate professionally and effectively with colleagues at all levels inside and outside the organisation.
Able to co-ordinate day-to-day activities with other staff working on the same or related tasks / Yes
Yes / CV, Interview
Communicating and Influencing:
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Able to present information clearly and effectively verbally and in writing
Good presentation skills / Yes
Yes / Interview
Other Skills and Behaviours:
Ability to develop and deliver training material to small classes, individuals or small ad hoc groups. / Yes / Interview
Able to travel within the EU at short notice / Yes / CV, Interview
Job Hazard Analysis Form - Appendix to Job and Person Specification
Please tick one of the following statements:This post is an office-based job with routine office hazards e.g. use of VDU (if ticked, no further information needs to be supplied) / X
This post has some hazards other than routine office e.g. more than use of VDU
Please tick all those that apply, and put N/A if not applicableEnvironmental Exposures / O* / F / C
Extremes of temperature (eg fridge/ furnace)
Potential for exposure to body fluids ##
Noise (greater than 80 dba - 8 hrs twa) ##
Exposure to hazardous substances (eg solvents, liquids, dust, fumes, biohazards). Specify …………………………………………………………. ##
Frequent hand washing
Food Handling ##
Driving university vehicles(e.g. car/van/LGV/PCV) ##
Use of latex gloves (note: prohibited unless specific clinical necessity) ##
Vibrating tools ( e.g. strimmers, hammer drill, lawnmowers) ##
Load manual handling.
Standing for prolonged periods
Repetitive Climbing i.e. steps, stools, ladders
Fine motor grips (e.g. pipetting)
Gross motor grips
Repetitive reaching below shoulder height
Repetitive reaching at shoulder height
Repetitive reaching above shoulder height
Face to face contact with public
Shift work/night work/on call duties ##
O – Occasionally (up to 1/3 of time); F – Frequently (up to 2/3 of time); C – Constantly (more than 2/3 of time) ## denotes to HR the need for a full PEHQ to be sent to all applicants for this position.FOR SCHOOL/SERVICE USE ONLY / ResourceLink Post Number
Which post does this job report to
Is this post a Line Manager? / Yes / No
If yes, which posts directly report into it? / ResourceLink Post Number
Please add additional rows as required