Appendix 9 - An Example of a Risk Assessment for Research FieldtripSubject of assessment (May be an activity, hazard or relate to an individual)
A research study into (Name of Research proposal)……………………………..
Location of research …………………….. / RA conducted by.
Researcher name here….. / Date.
Put the date the risk assessment is completed here - not the date of the research / RA ref. no.
This can be made up by the researcher for example:
List the risk/s involved or describe the hazard
Please note: the suggestions given are purely examples of the types of risks that might be relevant during your research. You need to include any risks which could potential cause harm to either yourself, the participants or others, due to your research. Please add, delete or amend as appropriate;
- Welfare of the participants during the interviews
- Welfare of the researcher during the interviews and information gathering
- Age of the Participants
- Risk of physical/verbal abuse to the researcher
- Storage of confidential information from the research
- Risk of participant/interviewer feeling unwell
- Duration and type of questions during of interviews
- Lone Working of Researcher
- Method of transport – (i.e. Vehicle, train, plane, etc.)
- Country location where research is to be carried out – please refer to the ‘Overseas Travel & Overseas Placement policy, Appendix A & B
- Road Traffic Incidents
- Distance of travel for research interviews
List the current control measures in place. Please check the RM website for help and advice available at;
Below are suggested control measures. Please check through these and add, amend, keep or delete those that apply to your research.
- Application for ethical approval from the Faculty Research Ethics Panel (FREP) of Anglia Ruskin University (ARU)
- ARU Risk assessment Policy
- Parental Consent obtained for data gathering, filming, photographing and interviewing children or young persons – This is dependent on the actual age of the participants.
- Supervision of research by ARU Research Supervisor (Add name here)
- Participant Information Sheet provided for each participant & a Consent form to be completed by participants where necessary
- Researcher to carry a mobile phone at all times
- ARU Public Liability Insurance in place
- Researcher will ensure they take breaks during periods of long car journeys.
- Pilot study of potential questions for participants
Current risk level. High / Medium / Low – Please indicate the level of risk by referring to the Risk Matrix in the guidance notes
(See risk matrix) (Delete as appropriate)
List the actions required to reduce the risk, include reference to any written safety procedures. Please check the RM website for help and advice available at;
Below are suggested responses to the control measures identified in Section 2. Please check through these and add, amend, keep or delete those that apply to your research. Please indicate, in the columns on the right, the date these are to be actioned and the name of the person(s) who will be actioning them;
- FREP ethical approval
- Regular supervision meetings with????? – Add the name of your Research Supervisor/Line Manager
- Parental Consent forms to be obtained from participants parents before gathering data
- Confidential information to be stored securely and to be deleted after assessment and marking
- Welfare of participants to be considered during interview – see FREP application
- Researcher to take regular breaks during interview – when needed
- Participants recruited vetted/recruited by???? – Is there a selection process? How are your participants recruited for your research?
- Itinerary of interview dates, times, locations, and participants names to be provided to Supervisor
- Consent form to be obtained from participants
YOU WILL NEED TO ADD DATES FOR EACH ACTION – WHEN ARE THESE TO BE ACTIONED?? / Actioned by
YOU WILL NEED TO ADD THE INITIALS OF WHOM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR EACH ACTION
Revised risk level. High / Medium / Low – Please indicate the level of risk by referring to the Risk Matrix in the guidance notes
(See risk matrix) (Delete as appropriate)
RA verified by (Usually Dean/Head of support unit/Line manager)
Research Supervisor & Head of Department must sign for students - Line Manager must sign for staff here to agree/verify the risk assessment / Date.
Risk assessment issued to the following;
List anyone that needs to see a copy – FREP Panel, Supervisor, Risk Management, etc / Date.
Risk assessment review date.
Risk assessment reviewed by.
AR-RMD-HSMS37/Issue 8.0Page 1 of 2