The North Carolina Section of the American Water Works Association
(NC AWWA) / / The North Carolina Member Association of the Water Environment Federation (NC WEA)
2016-2017 Raftelis Financial Consultants Environmental Finance and Management Fund Scholarship
The North Carolina American Water Works Association and the North Carolina Water Environment Association (NC AWWA-WEA) is a volunteer association dedicated to providing water and wastewater education, training, and service in an effort to protect public health and the environment.
In 1993, Raftelis Financial Consultants, Inc (RFC) was founded to provide services that help utilities function as sustainable organizations while providing the public with clean water at an affordable price. With this goal in mind, RFC has grown to become one of the largest and most respected utility financial, rate, management, and operational consulting practices in the nation. RFC has experience providing these services to hundreds of water, wastewater, and stormwater utilities across the country and abroad thereby allowing the firm to provide its clients with innovative and insightful recommendations that are founded on industry best practices. The purpose of the scholarship is to promote sustainability in North Carolina and across the country by supporting financial and management excellence in the environmental disciplines of water, wastewater, stormwater and reuse.
- Scholarship to be awarded a student pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree with a concentration in environmental finance, environmental management, or related disciplines, in an accredited institution of higher education during the 2016-2017 academic year
- Student must have maintained a GPA of greater than 3.0
- Student must be a US citizen
- Student must not be related to scholarship sponsors nor employed by such sponsors and not an employee of nor related to officer or director of NCAWWA-WEA, nor to any member of the Endowment Committee
- Preference will be given to student in the following order:
- North Carolinas residents attending North Carolina institutions of higher education
- Residents outside of North Carolina attending North Carolina institutions of higher education
- North Carolina residents attending institutions of higher education outside North Carolina
- Student who are members of the Student Chapter of NC AWWA-WEA
- One $1,000.00 scholarship will be awarded
- The recipient may receive the scholarship annually through completion of an undergraduate degree and/or completion of post graduate degree by documenting the meeting of qualifications.
- Award recipient will qualify for free registration for the Annual NC AWWA-WEA Conference each year in which he/she is awarded the scholarship.
How to Apply
In ONE envelope, applicants must submit:
- A completed application form. (Available at
- Recommendation of college instructors (At least two). These should be in sealed envelopes signed by the instructors
- Essay in which he/she discusses why he/she wants to become a professional with a concentration in environmental finance, environmental management, or related disciplines and what contributions he/she hopes to make to that sector of the water industry. (Maximum of 800 words)
- Official college transcript with university seal
- Academic Advisor Certification (Form is available at
All application materials (including enclosures) must be mailed to the address below, and postmarked by March 24, 2016.
2015 NC Safewater Endowment Fund Scholarship Application
3725 National Drive, Suite 217
Raleigh, NC 27612
Please do not submit any additional materials with your application. Materials that are not requested will not be reviewed with your application, nor will they be returned to you.
Letters of notification will be mailed to all applicants by June 20, 2016. If notification of the decision has not been received by July 1st, please contact NC AWWA-WEA staff member Rebecca Aguie at (919) 784-9030 x 1001 or .
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 24, 2016
2016-2017 Raftelis Financial Consultants Environmental Finance and Management Fund Scholarship Page 1 of 1