SHARON H. NIV, M.A.
Work address: 3215 McClintock Ave., Seeley G. Mudd Building 501,
Los Angeles, CA 90089
Phone: (650)-224-5154 * Email:
- Neural basis of behavior and behavioral problems over the course of development (especially adolescence)
- Genetic markers of psychopathology and personality
- Impulsivity and disinhibition-based psychopathological conditions
- EEG connectivity analysis
- Behavioral genetics and multilevel modeling statistical metholodologies
University of Southern California:
2008-Present: Ph.D. Candidate, Clinical Science & Brain Cognitive Science, Department of Psychology (Degree expected May 2013)
Thesis: Patterns of Frontal Alpha Power EEG in 9-10 Year Old Twins and their Relationship to Externalizing Behavior Problems in Childhood and Adolescence
Advisors: Laura A. Baker, Ph.D., Carol A. Prescott, Ph.D.
2010: M.A., Clinical Science & Brain Cognitive Science, Department of Psychology
Thesis: Heritability and Longitudinal Stability of Impulsivity in Adolescence
Advisors: Laura A. Baker, Ph.D., Carol A. Prescott, Ph.D.
University of California, Berkeley:
2005: B.A. in Neurobiology, Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
Thesis: The roles of the Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex and the Orbitofrontal Cortex in processing emotional stimuli
Advisor: Robert Knight, Ph.D., Christine Hooker, Ph.D.
- 2008-present: Provost scholar at USC, psychology department
- 2010: Singularity University Fellowship for Graduate Studies Program
- 2010: USC award to study accelerating technologies at Singularity University
- 2009: Behavior Genetics Association Travel Award
- 2005: Magna Cum Laude, UC Berkeley
- Board member at Lifeboat Foundation (2010-present)
- Behavior Genetics Association (2008-present)
- American Society for Criminology (2009-present)
Niv, S., Tuvblad, C., Raine, A., Baker, L. A. Heritability and longitudinal stability of impulsivity in adolescence. Behav Genet., 42, 378-392.
Tzabazis, A.Z.*, Niv, S.*, Manering, N.A., Klyukinov, M., Cuellar, J. Mm, Bhatnagar, A., & Yeomans, D.C., (2010). Trigeminal antihyperalgesic effect of intranasal carbon dioxide. Life Sciences, 87, 36-41. * Joint first authorship.
Niv, S. & Baker, L.A. (accepted). “Genetic Studies of Personality.” To appear in: International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition. Elsevier Limited Press.
Niv, S. & Baker, L.A. (in press) “Genetic Markers for Antisocial Behavior”. To appear in C. R. Thomas & K. Pope (Eds.), The Origins of Antisocial Behavior: A Developmental Perspective. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Portnoy, J., Niv, S., Schug, R., Yang, Y., Chen, F., Gao, Y., & Raine, A. (in press) “Bio-Social Perspectives”. To appear in R. Gartner & B. McCarthy (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook or Gender, Sex, and Crime New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
JOURNAL ARTICLES UNDER REVIEW
Niv, S., Tuvblad, C., Raine, A., Baker, L. A. The Genetic and Environmental Etiology of Internalizing and Externalizing Behavior in Adolescent Twins. (Revision&Resubmission).
Niv, S. “Clinical efficacy and potential mechanisms of neurofeedback.” (Under Review)
Niv. S, Tuvblad, C., Raine, A., Baker, L.A.. The heritability and environmental etiology of internalizing and externalizing behavior in Adolescent twins Poster at Behavioral Genetics Association convention in New Hampsire, June 2011.
Niv. S, Tuvblad, C., Raine, A., Baker, L.A.. The heritability and environmental etiology of internalizing and externalizing behavior in Adolescent twins. Presentation at American Society for Criminology convention in Washington D.C., November 2011
Niv. S, Raine, A., Baker, L.A.. EEG patterns and their relationship to aggression in childhood. Presentation at American Society for Criminology convention in Washington D.C., November 2011
Linares, K., Niv. S, Raine, A., Baker, L.A.. Examining the Factor Structure of Psychopathy across Sex using the ASPD. Poster for Western Psychological Association 2010 convention in Cancun, Mexico.
Niv, S., Raine, A., Baker, L.A., (2010). The longitudinal heritability of impulsivity during adolescence. Poster Presentation, American Society for Criminology (ASC). November 17-20, 2010, San Francisco, CA.
Niv, S., Tuvblad, C., Raine, A., Baker, L.A.. The Longitudinal Heritability of Impulsivity in a Sample of Child and Adolescent Twins. Poster at Behavioral Genetics Association convention in Minneapolis, MN. June, 2009.
Niv, S., M. Klyukinov, K.Nikolich, D. C. Yeomans; Analgesic effects of nasal CO2 in trigeminal nociception. Poster at Society For Neuroscience convention in San Diego, CA. November, 2007
AD HOC PEER REVIEWERS
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Teaching Assistant, USC, Psychology Department:
- Fall 2009, Spring 2011: Science of Happiness, Supervisor: John Monterosso, Ph.D.
- Spring 2010: Origins of Minds, Supervisor: Justin Woods, Ph.D.
- Fall 2010: Learning and Memory, Supervisor: David Lavond, Ph.D.
- Guest lecturer, 2011 summer seminars, USC, Psychology Department: “Personality”
- Guest speaker, Fall 2010 USC Psychology Department Coffee Meeting
- Community outreach: Guest lecturer on science of happiness, NModel Inc., Redwood Shores CA July, 2012
- Community outreach: Guest lecturer on science of happiness, DCG Systems Inc., Fremont CA, January, 2011
- Ignite Speaker, Summer 2010: Future of Psychology, NASA Ames Research Park, CA
- Aug. 2008 - current: Southern California Twin Project, University of Southern California. Conduct behavior genetics research into personality and behavioral problems in child and adolescent twins, investigating genetic and environmental influences and interplay. Advisor: Laura A. Baker, Ph.D.
- Aug. 2006 – May 2008: Pain Physiology Laboratory, Stanford University. Worked as a research assistant in the Stanford Hospital anesthesiology lab performing behavioral and molecular research in the field of chronic pain. Advisor: David Yeomans, Ph.D.
- Aug. 2004 – May 2005: Cognitive Neuroscience Lab, University of California, Berkeley. Performed behavioral research in Prefrontal Cortex specialization, testing emotional processing in individuals with PFC lesions. Advisors: Robert Knight, M.D., Christine Hooker, Ph.D.
- Aug. 2003 – May 2004: Molecular Therapeutics Lab, Columbia University. Performed neurobiological research with dopamine receptors D2 and D3 in the frontal lobes of mice, aiming to clarify their roles in learning and working memory. Advisor: Claudia Schmauss, M.D.
- 2008-2012: Therapist in training, Psychology Services Center at University of Southern California. Provided psychotherapy to adults, couples, and families. Utilized empirically supported treatments including CBT, interpersonal therapy, behavioral reinforcement, and cognitive processing therapy. Supervisors: Barbara Cadow, Ph.D., Danielle Keenan Miller, Ph.D., Caroline Bailey, Ph.D., Steven Lopez, Ph.D., Biing Shen, Ph.D., Gayla Margolin, Ph.D.
- 2009-2012: Psychological assessment, Psychology Services Center, University of Southern California. Performed neuropsychological, personality and cognitive assessment. Supervisors: Carol McCleary, Ph.D., Tania Abouezzeddine, Ph.D., Shannon Couture, Ph.D., Robert Gore, Ph.D.
- 2010-2011: Psychological assessment, Homeless Healthcare Los Angeles, Los Angeles CA. Provided psychodiagnostic testing and substance use assessment for homeless individuals. Supervisors: Carol Prescott, Ph.D., Kevin Kelley, MFT.
- 2008-2009: Psychological and cognitive assessment, Kedren Mental Health Center. Provided psychodiagnostic and cognitive assessment in an inpatient psychiatric ward. Supervisors: Berta Ortiz, Ph.D., Robert Gore, Ph.D.
- August 2012: Workshop in Multilevel Modeling, UCLA Dept. of Psychology, Los Angeles CA
- October, 2011: Update on Law and Ethics. Presented by A. Steven Frankel, Ph.D., J.D. Sponsored by the USC Department of Psychology.
- June, 2011: EEG neurofeedback training, EEGinfo, Los Angeles, CA
- May-July 2011: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, InsightLA, Los Angeles, CA
- June-August 2010: Singularity University Graduate Studies Program, NASA Ames Research Park, CA
- December 2009 Psychopharmacology Update for Psychologists, Los Angeles CA
- September 2008 Introducing the MMPI-2-RF (Restructured Form), Los Angeles CA
- June 2012 – present: Big sister volunteer, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Santa Clara County, CA
- June 2010-Nov. 2010: Founder of Zantia mentoring, Mountain View, CA
June 2006 – Aug. 2006: Childcare volunteer at Mother Theresa Missionaries of Charity orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Jan. 2006 – June 2006: Psychiatric inpatient youth ward activities organizer in Be’er Sheva Mental Health Center in Be’er Sheva, Israel
Oct. 2005 – June 2006: Public relations and translation for NGO for persons with disabilities (Etgarim) in Tel Aviv, Israel
Aug. 2005 – May 2006: English and Hebrew teacher at Ethiopian immigration center in Ashkelon, Israel.
Sept. 2004 – May 2005: Clinic organization and child tutoring at the UC Berkeley student run homeless clinic, Suitcase Clinic in Berkeley, CA
- 2010-2012: Consultant, anti-aginggames.com
- 2012-present: Consultant, Fido Intelligence Inc.