For Immediate ReleaseJuly 28, 2009
South Burlington’s Mark Trombley
Wins 2009 “Vermont Lake Monsters Player-for-a-Day” Contest,
courtesy of SUBWAY® Restaurants!
38-Year-Old to Sign Pro Contract and Receive Player Salary for August 15 game vs. State College Spikes
Burlington, VT – Mark Trombley of South Burlington, VT, was selected today as the 2009 winner of the “Vermont Lake Monsters Player-for-a-Day” contest, courtesy of SUBWAY® restaurants. The 38-year-old Trombley was chosen randomly from several hundred entries. The event will take place at Centennial Field in Burlington, VT, as part of SUBWAY® Night at the Ballpark on Saturday, August 15 (7:05 pm game time).
As the winner of this once-in-a-lifetime prize package, Trombley will:
- Sign a professional player development contract with Major League Baseball’s Washington Nationals and receive a pro-rated, one-day salary for the Lake Monsters’ game against the State College (PA) Spikes, the single A-affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates, on August 15
- Suit-up in a full Lake Monsters’ uniform
- Participate in pre-game, on-field activities, including shagging fly balls and taking batting practice with other Lake Monsters’ players
- Throw out one of the game’s ceremonial first pitches
- Sit in the dugout during the game*
- Stay overnight after the game at the Lake Monsters’ official team hotel
- Receive tickets to the game for his family and friends
- Enjoy free SUBWAY® subs
- And take home a Lake Monsters’ prize pack
*at the discretion of the Vermont Lake Monsters
Trombley is a local product, having played in the North Burlington Little League program as a youngster and attended Rice High School in South Burlington. He currently is the manager of his son’s All-Star baseball team (South Burlington 9-10 All-Stars), who recently won their District Championship and play this weekend for the State crown.
“I’m definitely looking forward to the challenge,” said Trombley, who most frequents the SUBWAY® restaurant in Winooski. “Here I am with my baseball career blossoming at the young age of 38 – I’m like ‘The Natural’. Robert Redford better look out!”
“This contest gets bigger and better each year, and we’re happy to again partner with the Lake Monsters to provide a lucky winner with such a great experience,” said Steve Forbes, local SUBWAY® SFAFT Board Chairperson. “Hopefully this will prove to be a very enjoyable time for Mr. Trombley, his family, his friends, and maybe even his championship baseball team!”
“People always dream about being a professional athlete; I’m glad we were able to once again work with SUBWAY® restaurants to provide this amazing opportunity,” said Lake Monsters’ Assistant General Manager Nate Cloutier. “Over the past three seasons, we’ve been able to make this a reality for three lucky fans in the area, and now we have another shot to give Mark Trombley a once-in-a-lifetime chance of becoming a professional baseball player. Well, for a day that is.”
Secondary prize winners are: Francis McKeon, 53, of Worcester, MA; David Bain, 47, of Wolcott, VT; Kenneth Harless, 16, of Graniteville, VT; Troy Austin, 13, of Essex, VT; and Morgan Meyer, 11, of Wilmington, NY. Each will receive four tickets to the August 15 game, a Lake Monsters’ prize pack, free SUBWAY® Subs, and an on-field introduction prior to the game.
Contact: Greg Post … 207-775-5251, ext. 15 …