Wells Cathedral: Visitor Services Assistant
Background Information to the Post of Visitor Services Assistant
Situated on the edge of the Mendip Hills in the County of Somerset, Wells is one of England’s most beautiful and compact cities, built around the beautiful Cathedral of Saint Andrew. Its picturesque surroundings include a quaint market square and high street, the Bishop’s Palace and the magnificent Vicars Close, Europe’s oldest continuously inhabited street.
Wells Cathedral deservedly has gained an enviable reputation for its lovingly maintained Gothic architecture, its world class music, and its Ministry of Welcome to some 250,000 visitors each year as well as around 150,000 people who come to the Cathedral for services, concerts, lectures etc.
Underpinning the life and worship of the Cathedral is a diverse organisation whose responsibilities cover an internationally recognised choir, works, virgers, library, archive, education, outreach, finance, HR, administration, volunteer management and trading companies. The Cathedral’s regular income is derived from three main sources: entry donations and other voluntary income; property and investments; and its commercial activities, which currently comprise two shops and catering business.
More details may be found on the Cathedral’s website: http://www.wellscathedral.org.uk
Department Specific Information
We welcome visitors every day of the year to experience this wonderful and holy place. We are in the process of recruiting additional members of the team to join our Retail & Visitor Services team to work in both our retail outlets and visitor entry/donation desk.
We hope you find this pack provides all the information you need in order to consider your application for this post. If, however, you have any further questions please initially contact Maria Webber (tel. 01749 685113 or email ) who will redirect you to the appropriate person.
Applications must be received by 12pm on 20th October 2017. Application forms should be returned to Human Resources, either by post care of Diocesan Offices, the Old Deanery, Wells, Somerset BA5 2UG or by email to
To ensure the fairness of the selection process, shortlisting will be based upon the information which you provide in your application and assumptions will not be made about your experience or skills. We will look for demonstrable evidence that you meet the criteria set out in the person specification.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of the shortlisting process.
Further details regarding the selection process will be communicated at the time applicants are invited for interview. The appointment will be subject to satisfactory references.
Should you decide to apply for this post we look forward to receiving your application.
We are committed to:
· The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children, young people and all adults;
· The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and all adults;
· The establishing of safe, caring communities which provide a loving environment where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and where they can find support and best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse
Further information can be found in our Safeguarding Policy. All applicants are required to complete a Confidential Declaration Form as part of our recruitment process when an offer of employment is made. This form is strictly confidential and, except under compulsion of law, will be seen only by those involved in the recruitment / appointment process and, when appropriate, the nominated safeguarding lead or someone acting in a similar role/position. All forms will be kept securely in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
JOB DESCRIPTIONPOST: Visitor Services Assistant
KEY PURPOSE OF POST: To provide excellent customer service to visitors at either the visitor entry desk or retail outlets and act as an ambassador for the Cathedral.
LOCATION: Wells Cathedral, Wells, BA5 2PA
REPORTING TO: Senior Supervisor
HOURS OF WORK: Part –time hours (weekend working will be required)
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Both shops and entry desk)
· Provide a warm and knowledgeable welcome to all visitors to the Cathedral
· Handle cash, credit card and voucher payment transactions quickly and efficiently.
· Be confident working both within the retail outlet and on the visitor entry desk
· Confidently promote the Cathedral to visitors ensuring information is delivered correctly and consistently
· Respond to customer enquiries
· Fully understand why it is necessary for the Cathedral to actively encourage and maximise donations from the visitor and articulate reasons why
· Cross-sell products, including store merchandise, memberships and event sales including bookings
· To promote Gift Aid and other forms of donation to the Cathedral and be knowledgeable about the requirements for eligibility for Gift Aid and explain this when required
· To understand and be able to explain advantages of the annual pass scheme and its benefits
· To gain product knowledge of the shop and café to enhance active selling techniques to Cathedral visitors
· Encourage visitors to make observations (compliments and or complaints) and act to refer these on or resolve immediately using appropriate discretion
· Complete cashing up duties including reconciliation of till/floats
· Holiday/sickness cover as required including evening box office cover
· To work as an effective member of the Cathedral Shops
· Undertake administrative tasks associated with sales and stock
· Cross-sell products, annual passes and event sales including bookings to maximise sales
· Stocktaking duties as outlined by supervisor/senior supervisor
· Undertake such other tasks as may be reasonably requested
PERSON SPECIFICATIONKey Criteria / Essential / Desirable
Qualifications and Experience / · G.C.S.E or equivalent in English and Maths
· Experience of working in a customer services environment
Skills and Abilities / · Superb customer service skills
· Ability to demonstrate a reliable, responsible, flexible and trustworthy attitude and approach
· Have a confident and proactive approach to resolving problems and issues arising.
· Have an eye for attention to detail
· Have the ability to work positively as part of a diverse team
· Be willing to acquire a good working knowledge of the Cathedral
· Ability to work under pressure / · Basic computer skills including Microsoft office/use of point of sale IT systems.
· Ability to cross sell a variety of products and services
Work-related Personal Qualities / · Outgoing, confident individual
· Good telephone manner
· Enjoy working with people
· Willingness to work evening, weekend and bank holiday shifts when required
· Adhere to the dress/uniform code and behave in a manner that is appropriate for the Cathedral
Main Terms and ConditionsHours of Work / Part –time hours (weekend working will be required)
Rate of Pay / Competitive rates of pay
Pension / Defined Contribution Scheme. Contributions as % of salary:
Age Employee Employer
<50 2.5%(*) 5%
50-55 4% 8%
>55 5% 10%
(*) Increasing to 3% with effect from 1/10/2018
Holiday / Five working weeks per calendar year plus bank holidays, each pro rata.
The holiday year runs from 1 January to 31 December.
Location / The Cathedral, Wells
Expenses / All reasonable working expenses will be met in line with Cathedral policy
Probation / This post will be subject to a probationary period
Page 4 of 5