School Health Service

School Health Service

10 Information for Parent Carers


Updated14 January 2009

If you have a child who needs extra care because of a health problem or disability then you are a Parent Carer. Detailed below is information about services available to Parent Carers that you might find helpful.

If you are a parent and are concerned about your child’s health or development then you should seek advice from your GP in the first instance.

School Health Service

The Community Child Health Department provides the statutory health services to schools. The School Health Service is organised in sixteams of School Nurses, School Doctors (Staff Grade paediatricians) and supporting health records assistant, and are assigned to named schools. It works in conjunction with services to pre school aged children. It aims to identify and support children with health problems, to access and provide services for pupils with special educational needs and to promote the physical, mental and social well being of children within a school setting.


These include screening, surveillance, immunisation and health promotion. Primary 1 pupils are seen selectively, by a school nurse / staff grade paediatrician for assessment. All fourteen year olds are seen selectively and offered routine immunisation. The service covers all schools and day units in Clackmannan, Falkirk and Stirling local authority areas and includes independent and special schools.

It provides statutory medical services to children with special educational needs, and also advises schools on health issues.

The Child Health Department (CHD) is there to provide the School Health service, specialist paediatric services and to

administer the Child Health Information Systems such as Scottish Immunisation Recall System (SIRS) and Child Health Surveillance Programme – PreSchool (CHSP-PS) and Child Health Surveillance Programme – School (CHSP-S). They also maintain a Special Needs Register.


Referrals to the School Health Service can be made by hospital and community doctors, health visitors, educational and social work professionals as well as parents/carers.

Specialist services include:

  • Health input to the under-5 assessment teams:

PreFCAT - Pre Fives Community Assessment Team (Falkirk)

CEAT/S - Community Early Assessment Team (Stirling)

  • VISSCC – Visual Impairment Support Service for Children in the Community
  • HISSCC – Hearing Impairment Support Service for Children in the Community
  • Specialist clinics for children with encopresis and complex enuresis (wetting & soiling).

Continence Advisory Service

Carronbank House

Carronbank Crescent

Denny FK6 6DG
01324 827410

The Continence Advisory Service is managed from Carronbank Clinic in Denny and provides a service throughout ForthValley.


Anyone can self refer to the service or a referral may be made by another healthcare professional on your behalf.

Reasons for referral: These are varied, but may include the requirement of a full clinical assessment, support with a treatment plan, emotional support and advice on products.

The Community Continence Service is nurse-led and offers specialist advice to adults and children experiencing bladder and/or bowel problems. There is the option to be seen at home if a clinic appointment is difficult. Bladder and Bowel Clinics are co-ordinated from the Denny office and are held at a number of locations throughout ForthValley.

Clinical input involves: full assessment, bladder residual scan, pelvic floor exercise and trophic stimulation, bladder retraining, intermittent self catheterisation, product advice and fitting, catheter management advice, and counselling. The Continence Advisor is supported by a team who address continence related issues locally offering assessment and advice, liaison and support within primary care setting, health promotion / awareness. Training and education for professionals and non professionals is also provided.

A helpline where people can phone in for advice operates from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm – Telephone: (01324) 827420. If staff are not available to take your call there is a 24 hour answer machine for callers to leave their message.

Childhood Enuresis Services (Age 5-16yrs)
There are teams within GP localities who accept referrals from GPs, specialist services, or self referrals. Current details available from the Continence Advisory Service.

The department also liaises with other services such as Speech & Language, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Educational and Social Work.

Further information about services for children can be obtained from:

Area Community Child Health Department

Stirling Royal Infirmary


Stirling FK8 2AU

Telephone: 01786 434059


Updated14 January 2009