Lower School Librarian Grades 3-6
Holton-Arms School invites applications for the position of Lower School Librarian (grades 3-6). Qualified candidates will have a Master’s degree in Library Science as well as experience teaching at the elementary level. The ideal candidate will be passionate about books and engaging with young people. They will work to enhance the reading culture of the lower school through dynamic programming both in the library and in coordination with the greater lower school community. Our librarian will be comfortable working closely with our talented and dedicated faculty from all disciplines and will provide instructional and material support for the curriculum. Successful candidates must be familiar with computerized sources of information, emerging technologies, children’s literature, and library media center operations. The successful candidate will need to work with grade-level teachers to incorporate information literacy skills throughout the curriculum, and will need to work closely with the Lower School Technology Coordinator to ensure implementation of technology proficiencies. Collegiality, professionalism, and excellent communication skills are highly valued at the School. The School is looking for a person who will be enthusiastic about working with lower school girls. This position reports to the Director of Library Information Services.
• Excellent teaching skills
• Broad knowledge of children’s and young adult literature and a dedication to introducing children to the books that will nurture a lifelong love of reading
· A dedication to selecting and sharing high quality literature that supports the school’s commitment to promoting an inclusive and diverse community
· Comfort with teaching children the library and research skills that will help them become independent learners
· Demonstrated skill in supporting and collaborating with teachers across disciplines
· Experience in and comfort with current technologies that support school libraries
· Warmth and strong interpersonal and communication skills required
Founded in 1901, Holton-Arms is an independent college preparatory girls school with 665 students in grades 3 through 12, located on a 57-acre campus in Bethesda, MD, a suburb of Washington. The School’s mission is to cultivate the unique potential of young women through the “education not only of the mind, but of the soul and spirit.” (Jessie Moon Holton - 1866-1951, co-founder) We are a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff reflecting the population of the metropolitan Washington, DC area. We are dedicated to inspiring young women to lead lives of positive influence.
We offer a comprehensive benefit package with a competitive salary.
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Holton-Arms School, ATTN: HR
7303 River Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
Email: or Fax: 301.767.2710
To learn more about Holton-Arms, please visit our website, www.holton-arms.edu