POSITION DESCRIPTIONCore Mercy Values: / Compassion, Hospitality, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship, Teamwork
Position title: / OHS/RTW Manager/coordinator / Employee name:
Business Unit/Department: / WMH, MMH and MPC
Administration / Date: / February 2011
Position reports to: / Hospital: Director of Nursing/Hospital Manager
Group: Group Risk Manager
Group OHS Manager &
Group WorkCover Manager / Positions reporting to this one: / N/A
Position Purpose: / OH&S: Manage and advise on all OH&S activities within all services provided by Werribee Mercy Hospital (WMH), Mercy Mental Health (MMH) and Mercy Palliative Care (MPC). Assist managers with compliance related to OH&S regulation, legislation and policy.
Return to Work (RTW): Case management of injured workers. Case management will be conducted in conjunction with area managers with a view to facilitating a quick and safe return to work
Qualifications: / Qualification in OH&S, or working towards. Demonstrated experience in OH&S beneficial.
Resource management: / Total staff management (FTE):
Annual Operating Expenditure:
Annual Capital Expenditure:
Personal Competencies required /
Job Competencies Required Negotiation skills / Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulations
Proven communication and interpersonal skills / Ability to actively listen and resolve conflict, as well as support, encourage, motivate and direct staff
Consultative approach / Report writing skills
Empathetic / Analytical skills
Problem solving /
Key Result Areas / Key Activities / Standard Measures
Demonstrates and upholds the Values and Mission of Mercy Health. / Ensure the values of Mercy Health are incorporated into daily work practices for all staff. / Be compassionate and provide support to staff and customers.
Consistently shows respect and values each person’s dignity.
Seeks opportunities to be innovative for improvement.
Communicates openly and honestly as an effective team member.
Staff and management are encouraged and supported to comply with OHS programs, policies and training. /
- Manage and chair OHS Committee
- Coordinate identification and review of OHS risks for facility risk register
- Attendance at relevant meetings including OHS, Support & Corporate Quality Committee. Flu Pandemic and Infection Control meetings
- Provide education on risk management control programs
- Provide advice to facility staff and managers
- Disseminate OHS information
- Organize and/or conduct OHS training in line with Group program
- Record training
- Co-ordinate OH&S component of staff orientation and development programs.
- Liaise with Group OHS Manager
- Risk assessments completed and controls implemented and risks reviewed. Risk register up to date.
- Minutes of meetings recorded, distributed and up to date
- Training records up to date
Advise, recommend and report to senior management on health and safety issues and report to MH Risk and WorkCover Services /
- Analyse and report incident and
- Review and assess CEA submissions as requested by managers
- Liaise with WorkSafe Inspectors
- Undertake specialist OHS Projects
- Meet with Hospital manager on a regular basis (Monthly)
- Reports to senior management
- Minutes of OH&S, Quality
- WorkSafe Reports
- Occupational risks on risk register up to date
- Incident database up to date
Hazards are identified, assessed and controlled /
- Assist staff to identify, assess and control hazards/risks
- Manage OHS hazards governed by legislation/regulation
- Organise manual handling training
- Manage Infosafe database
- Manage incident database
- OHS Housekeeping risks assessment conducted according to policy
- Infosafe database is up to date
- Incident database up to date
- Manual handling training is up to date
- WorkSafe Reports
Emergency Procedures in place and staff trained to ensure effective management of emergencies at facilities. /
- Review emergency procedures
- Update and disseminate emergency procedures
- Facilitate nomination of staff to specific roles in the emergency procedures
- Organise periodic exercises of emergency
- Provide Emergency training as required
- Liaise with Corporate Emergency Coordinator
- Emergency procedures reviewed and up to date
- Emergency exercises conducted
- Emergency training attendance
- Organise training in emergency procedures
- Training records
Return to Work Plans are developed for each employee who provide certificates which state they are not fit for normal duties due to injury and/or illness /
- Identify suitable duties in consultation with stakeholders.
- Maintain a separate management file for any employee submitting a claim for Workers Compensation, including file notes, which show a clear trail of any decision made about a claim.
- Provide return to work plans for staff with personal injury and/or illness.
- Identify and access specialist resources as required e.g. vocational psychologist, occupational therapist, investigators, medical specialists etc.
- Train employees in WorkCover matters claims management and Return to Work activities.
- Liaise with staff and Entity Management.
- Return to Work Plans are received by Agent in required timeframe
- Nil complaints from workers and Treating Health Professionals.
- Regular claims review meeting with Agent, RTW Coordinators and management
Claims are managed effectively /
- Prepare Review Return to Work plans in line with legislative requirements.
- Regular Case reviews with Agent
- Liaise with Group WorkCover Coordinator
- Claims costs
- Claims reports
- Legal compliance audit
Management is kept informed of all workers compensation matters. /
- Write regular reports on claims.
- Reports to facility and corporate management
- Reports from insurer
Provide so far as is practicable, a healthy and safe environment for staff and others in the workplace and actively review work procedures and supervise staff to ensure all work is performed in a safe manner. /
- Undertake regular risk assessments
- Complete incident forms
- Actively investigate incidents
- Assist injured staff to return to work in a safe and timely manner
- Keep orientation records
- Completes Risk assessments and implements controls
- Records incidents thoroughly and accurately
- Conducts and completes incident investigations in a timely manner
- Provides suitable and meaningful duties for staff on return to work plans
- Ensures all new staff are provided with an orientation to the work area
- Reduces number and cost of WorkCover claims
Employee’s Signature: / Date:
Line Manager Signature: / Date: