1. If John walks 3.0 km north at 2.5 km/h, then runs another 2.0 km east at 15.0 km/h, then he heads south for 20 minutes at a rate of 9.0 km/h, and then turns west for 30 minutes at 2.0 km/h. What is the magnitude of his average velocity during the trip?
(A) 28.5 km/h (B) 14.3 km/h (C) 2.17 km/h(D) 0.46 km/h (E) 0 km/h
2. Suppose that a particle moving along the x-axis has velocity as a function of time described by v(t) = at³+ bt4 where a = 1.0 m/s4 and b = 2.0 m/s5. What is the acceleration of the particle at t = 3.0 s?
(A) 0 m/s² (B) 27 m/s² (C) 189 m/s² (D) 216 m/s² (E) 243 m/s²
3. City A is 600 km directly west of city B. A plane has an air speed of 210 km/h. If there is wind blowing north at 150 km/h, what is the time it takes to fly from city A to city B? Assume that the air traffic controllers have routed the plane to fly directly over the interstate which runs in a straight line from A to B.
(A) 2.50 h (B) 2.86 h (C) 4.00 h(D) 4.08 h (E) 5.06 h
4. A projectile is launched horizontally from the top of a building that is 49.0 m above the ground. The initial speed of the projectile is 15.0 m/s. The time that the projectile is in the air before it hits the ground is ____ . (Ignore effects of air friction)
(A). 1.6 s(B) 3.2 s (C) 4.8 s(D) 6.0 s(E) 7.2 s
5. A person moves a 1.0-kg block along five
different paths as shown. The upward
direction on the page is the upward direction
above the earth and the horizontal direction
on the page is the horizontal direction along
the earth’s surface. The initial and final
speeds of the block are zero. The magnitude
of the work done on the block by the
gravitational force is greatest for path ____.
6. A 4.0-kg book is kept fixed against a vertical wall by a hand that applies a 200-N force perpendicular to the surface of the book. The coefficient of static friction between the book and the wall is µs= 0.3. What is the magnitude of the friction force?
(A) 12 N (B) 20 N (C) 39 N (D) 59 N(E) 200 N
7. A person drives a car over the top of a hill, the cross section of which can be approximated by a circle of radius 1024 m. What is the greatest speed at which he can drive without the car leaving the road at the top of the hill?
(A) 25 m/s(B) 50 m/s(C) 100 m/s(D) 150 m/s(E) 200 m/s
8. Four blocks of masses m1 = 1.0 kg, m2 = 2.0 kg, m3 = 3.0 kg, m4 = 4.0 kg are on a frictionless horizontal surface. The blocks are connected (in numerical order) by ideal massless strings. A force FL = 20 N is applied to the left block and is directed to the left. Another force FR = 60 N is applied to the right block, and is directed to the right. What is the magnitude of the tension, T, in the string between m3 and m4?
(A) 16N (B) 20 N (C) 44N (D) 52N (E) 60N
9. A small stone is placed at the rim of a level pottery wheel of radius, R = 19.0 cm. The wheel is initially at rest and begins moving with a constant angular acceleration of 0.200 rad/s2. When the system reaches 4.00 rad/s, the stone flies off. What is the coefficient of static friction between the wheel and the stone?
(A) 0.18 (B) 0.31 (C) 1.3 (D) 1.6 (E) 1.9
10. A person is exerting a constant horizontal force on a 51.0-kg crate that is moving along a horizontal floor in a straight line in the direction of the force at a constant speed of 0.200 m/s. If the rate at which the person is doing work on the crate is 40.0 W, then the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is ____.
(A) 0.1 (B) 0.2 (C) 0.3 (D) 0.4 (E) 0.5
11. Robin Hood fires an arrow at velocity v0 = 45 m/s at an angle of 30° above the horizontal from the top of a cliff of height h. The sheriff of Nottingham standing at a distance d from the base of the cliff notices that the arrow impacts him with a speed of 92 m/s. What is the height, h, of the cliff? Neglect air resistance.
(A) 212m (B) 290m (C) 330m (D) 400m (E) 420m
12. A car is moving in the +x direction with a speed of 30.0 m/s. The driver applies the brakes and the car’s acceleration is then ax = 5.00 m/s2. After the brakes are applied, the distance traveled before the car comes to a stop is ____ .
(A) 60 m (B) 70 m (C) 80 m (D) 90 m (E) 100 m