Part of the program of Plovdiv – European Capital of Culture 2019
ADATA AiR is a project of the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation, realized in partnership with the Goethe-Institut in Bulgaria and the Polish Institute in Sofia.
Plovdiv 2019 Foundation launches an artist-in-residence program – ADATA AiR – in the city of Plovdiv. The residency aims to give a space for a creative exchange that fosters intercultural dialogue and interaction. The platform is open for artists, architects, designers, etc., from Europe to join the special pre-capital-of-culture stage for the development of the Bulgarian city Plovdiv, which is going to be a European Capital of Culture in 2019. During their stay, the residents will have the opportunity to develop new projects and interact with the local communities and the complex cultural realities of the city.
The focus of the residency call is the urban landscape of the city. It is basically divided in the following two sections:
• Nature-culture relation within the city: having a river, passing through the city and a wild river island in it, also the city’s seven hills as some of its landmarks;
• Architectural layering: a mixture of styles and epochs, having some remarkable examples of Modernist, Soviet, Bauhaus architecture as well as an intriguing heritage of industrial and religious buildings, and even some illegal community-created examples.
The ADATA AiR program offers to its residents the opportunity to further develop their projects, after finishing their residency stay. Up to 15 of all residents’ projects will be realized during the following year - in 2019, as part of the official program of Plovdiv – ECoC 2019.
Adata is the name of a river island in Plovdiv (etymology from Turkish – “island”). Used as a picnic area in the beginning of the 20th century and also for growing fruits and vegetables, the island is currently a deserted area, burden for its owners, serving for free wood cutting and for different illegal activities. It had been longtime forgotten by the citizens until the European Capital of Culture turned it into a symbolic area within its program. The island represents not only the geographical spot but rather the state of isolation and alienation that characterizes our society for a long period of time. It was the reason to choose it as an emblem of this AiR program, with the goal of developing artistic interventions, installations, objects, sculptures and site specific artworks in the public space, thus changing the perception of the island.
About Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
This is the organization responsible for the implementation of the project European Capital of Culture. The initiative aims to revitalize and open up forgotten and dysfunctional spaces in the city using the full capacity through the means of art and culture. The flagship projects of the program include some of the most prominent architectural and monumental achievements from the recent past, as well as the whole river area and the largest river island situated in the heart of the city.
More information about the program of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 can be found here.
On the webpage of Plovdiv 2019
Facebook page of ADATA AiR
Launch: December 2017
Deadline for submitting applications is January 31, 2018.
Residencies: from March 15 to July 15, 2018
Deadline for submitting applications is May 31, 2018
Residencies: from July 15 to November 30, 2018
Duration of a residency: lasting from 2 weeks – as minimum stay, till 2 months – as maximum stay (depending on the proposal and the committee evaluation).
The schedule of the residency stays will be developed during the end of the project evaluation and final selection, based on the preferable period for each applicant and the vacancies.
▪ Living space for the residents - private rooms in shared apartments
▪ 24/7 Studio (allowing at least 2 different artists to work at the same time)
▪ Event space - for screenings, exhibitions, conference/meeting/presentation room
▪ Couches and social areas
▪ Free Internet access
▪ Basic materials and tools
▪ Practical advice for research and production details
All the above mentioned facilities are not charged by the residents and are provided by the organizer.
The organizers will cover:
▪ Travel expenses - for the trip to Plovdiv and back
▪ Living expenses: 560 BGN (approximately 280 EURO) per 2-weeks period per person
All other expenses during the residency stay are personal responsibility of the residents.
DISCIPLINES AND MEDIA
- Visual arts
- Digital media
- Performance art
- Land art
- Film making
EXPECTATIONS FROM THE ARTISTS
After their residency stay all artists-in residents should propose a fully developed concept for one or more artworks to be produced and presented within the program of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019.
ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES DURING THE RESIDENCY
- Artists talks and presentations
- Open Studios
- Studio visits with local artists and curators
- APPLICATION PROCESS
Who can apply?
This call is open to artists in any stage of their career, preferably based in Europe.
Artists, who are Bulgarian residents or based in Bulgaria are also admitted to apply.
How to apply?
- Read the guidelines carefully. If you need any additional information, you can write to us at
- Fill out the Application form
There is no application fee.
The information required in the Application form is available in a file, which could be downloaded in the bottom of this call. Please, read it before filling the form and prepare in advance all the necessary information and files, which you would like to attach. Once you send the Application form, you are not allowed to make corrections on it.
Information required to be attached in the Application form includes:
▪ Brief concept of a potential project to explore during your participation in the ADATA AiR program;
▪ Personal resume or CV;
▪ A portfolio;
▪ Up to 10 images of recent works. Applicants may upload images in jpg format with resolution of 72 dpi and a largest dimension around 800 px.
The residents will be selected by a committee according to:
- Artist’s statement and previous work
- Quality of the project proposal in relationship with the goals of the Plovdiv ECoC 2019 program
- Potentiality of realizing the project in 2019
Maximum number of residents at one time: 5
Selected artists will be notified approximately 30 days after each deadline. If you need sooner notification, please state it in your application and in a special email addressed to us.