Economic Development / Strategy Consulting / Africa
Immediate Opening: Senior Associate, Industrial Strategy & Policy
Based in: Kigali, Rwanda
The OTF Group (OTF) is recognized as a global leader in building prosperity in developing economies. OTF advises business and government leaders on competitive strategies for firms, clusters and regions. For more information about OTF Group and our work, please visit our website,
OTF has an immediate openingfor a full-time Senior Associate in Africa to support projects focused on improving the competitiveness of our client countries. The position will require relocation to Kigali, Rwanda. This role may also require additional domestic and international travel.
Senior Associates at OTF have extensive experience that contributes to their role advising government and private sector leaders, including leaders of prominent institutions, on issues of economic development, cluster competitiveness and firm level strategy. Day-to-day client facing responsibilities include:
- Performing rigorous analysis of regional, industry and firm-level data to inform the strategic choice making of public and private sector leaders.
- Leveraging a deep understanding of general management, strategy, marketing and global economics to help clients address specific microeconomic challenges.
- Leading multiple high-level stakeholders through complex industry and national change processes.
- Coaching business managers on how to compete effectively in challenging local and global environments.
- Providing strategic guidance and capacity building to institutions.
- Promoting a national culture of innovation and competitiveness through the training of private and public sector constituents on competitiveness theory and practice.
- Developing thought leadership and showcasing articles for publication into regional and international press.
Senior Associates will also have internal project management, mentoring, and business development responsibilities in support of the growth of OTF’s client base in a particular region.
Required experience and skills:
- Strong written and verbal language skills, including fluency in English as well as French (required).
- Ability to transform data into insight, and integrate fields of business, economics and public policy.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills; grace in engaging public and private sector leaders worldwide.
- Leadership skills to guide a variety of stakeholders, from policymakers to industry managers to distracted colleagues.
- East Africa experience and post-conflict country experience highly desirable.
- Willingness to work and live in an austere, services-poor, infrastructure-deprived environment.
- Proven ability as a project manager, to include logistician, financial manager and staff supervisor duties.
- Ability to reach out as a trainer and colleague to counterpart staff.
- Comfortable “cold calling” stakeholders in order to advance the project’s aims.
- Ability on PowerPoint, Excel and other modern office tools.
- Comfort with ambiguity, with a sense of humor.
The ideal candidate for this position has a Master’s degree (MBA, MPP, etc.) and a minimum of eight years of private sector experience. Experience in management consulting, international development, finance, marketing and operations in developing economies are particularly valued.
A demonstrated commitment living and working in emerging markets is required. Preference will be given to candidates who are available to relocate immediately.
For immediate consideration, interested candidates should submit their resume to . Resumes will be accepted until May 17, 2010. Questions about these positions can be directed to the above email address.
OTF Group is committed to building a diverse workforce on the foundation of recognizing, valuing, and utilizing the unique skills and abilities of all employees.All applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.We strive to create an inclusive environment where all employees have the opportunity to develop their potential and contribute fully to the organization. In an increasingly international and competitive marketplace, we value the strength and perspective that a truly diverse team provides.
- 1 -