LEED for Healthcare Request for Proposals
The U.S. Green Building Council is seeking a consultant to support the release of LEED for Healthcare, under the direction of the LEED for Healthcare Committee. LEED for Healthcare is based on LEED-NC (LEED for New Construction), but has been significantly altered to better suit the needs of the healthcare facilities market. The consultant will be responsible for completing the following tasks in close coordination with the committee and staff representatives. The LEED for Healthcare committee has been formed according to the USGBC Board of Directors Policies and Procedures for Committees. For the purposes of this RFP, it should be noted that the “Rating System” referred to below will be roughly equal in size and content to LEED-NC, LEED-EB, LEED-CI, and LEED-CS Rating Systems. The “Reference Guide” referred to below will be roughly equal in size and content to other LEED Reference Guides, and will be based on the LEED-NC version 2.2 Reference Guide.
Task 1: Public Comment Responses
- Prepare and format draft responses to comments submitted during the initial and secondary public comment periods
- Revise the draft Rating System to incorporate public comments as approved by the LEED for Healthcare Core Committee and LEED Steering Committee.
- Manage the review and approval of the responses and the revised Rating System by the LEED for Healthcare Committee, the LEED Technical Advisory Groups, and the LEED Steering Committee as required by the LEED Foundations Document in preparation for USGBC member balloting.
- Prepare summary documents describing the revisions to the draft Rating System following the initial and secondary public comment periods to post to the USGBC Web site.
- Draft and final responses to comments submitted during the initial public comment period (as applicable) and secondary public comment period
- The secondary public comment draft and the final ballot draft of the Rating System for posting to the USGBC Web site. The contractor is not responsible for final copy editing and graphic design, but is expected to deliver a completed draft with final proposed credit language.
- Summary documents outlining the revisions to the initial and secondary public comment drafts
Estimated Compensation: $1,500
Task 2: LEED for Healthcare Reference Guide
- Update the LEED-NC, Third Edition Reference Guide to incorporate Healthcare-related content, based on the Rating System.
- Coordinate the review and approval of the LEED for Healthcare Reference Guide by the LEED for Healthcare Committee and Technical Advisory Groups.
- Draft and final versions of the LEED for Healthcare Reference Guide updated to include and reflect the final content of the balloted Rating System and relevant case studies. The contractor is not responsible for final copy editing and graphic design, but is expected to deliver a completed draft with final proposed language.
Estimated Compensation: $30,000
Task 3: LEED for Healthcare Letter Templates
- Redline LEED for New Construction letter templates for all modified Healthcare credits as needed
- Create submittal requirements for new Healthcare credits as required
- Review built letter templates with software consultant
- Develop Draft and final versions of the LEED for Healthcare LEED Online letter template changes to include and reflect the final content of the balloted Rating System and relevant submittal requirements. The contractor is not responsible for developing the actual electronic letter templates or technological infrastructure for integrating the changes into LEED Online but is expected to deliver a comprehensive outline of the changes and additions necessary for project submittal.
Estimated Compensation: $7,000
All deliverables must be provided electronically in editable formats and as required by the USGBC program manager. Contractor will be responsible for responding to publication managers’ inquiries for content clarifications during copy edit and graphic layout phases.
Proposal Contents and Format
Proposals should provide the following information:
- Narrative project description detailing the proposed approach including an estimated deliverables completion timeline
- Capabilities statement (personnel qualifications, team/corporate experience)
- Two relevant performance references
- Itemized budget (hourly rates and direct expenses)
Proposal text should not exceed 12 pages in length (single-spaced, 12 pt. font). Budget and supporting materials (collateral materials, CVs) are not included in this page limit but should be summarized in the proposal text. All personnel and subcontractors proposed for the completion of the scope of work must be named within the proposal text.
All proposals will become property of the USGBC upon submission. The USGBC reserves the right to cancel this solicitation without cause prior to award.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
Complete and responsive proposals received prior to the submission deadline will be rated according to best value on the basis of the following evaluation criteria:
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of and experience with the LEED product development process and specific issues regarding the LEED-NC rating system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the High Performance Healthcare Market
- Demonstrated experience in writing & editing technical reference materials
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing the development of technical reference materials.
- Ability to work with multiple consultants as needed
- Commitment to meet the aggressive development schedule
- Ability to participate in regular bi-weekly meetings provide regular project status updates to USGBC
- Proposed project approach and delivery timeline
- Relevant personnel and corporate experience
Period of Performance/Estimated Timeline
The period of performance is expected to be no more than 4 months long from the contract award date. A detailed timeline will be developed in coordination with LEED staff and the LEED for Healthcare Core Committee as part of the product development work plan. The following milestones are presented as guidelines for the purposes of this solicitation:
Proposal submission deadline: January 11, 2008
Estimated contract award date:January 18, 2008
First Public comment responses delivery:February 4, 2008
Reference Guide 1st draft delivery:March 14, 2008
Second Public comment responses delivery:March 21, 2008
LEED Online redline 1st draft delivery:March 28, 2008
Final balloted draft delivery: April 4, 2008
LEED Online redline final delivery:April 11, 2008
Reference Guide Final delivery:May 30, 2008
Compensation and Method of Payment
An itemized conceptual budget of all project or hourly costs must accompany the proposal text. Payment for services outlined in this RFP will be made on a time and materials basis up to a maximum of $38,500.
The contractor shall submit an itemized, monthly invoice to the USGBC for payment. Invoices will be processed and paid 30 days from the date of receipt.
All products, materials and reports prepared under this activity will be the exclusive property of the USGBC and will be used to further the cause of high performance green buildings in the United States.
This work will be conducted under the terms of USGBC’s standard contract for services with a task order issued to cover the tasks required under this RFP. USGBC is not obligated to sign a contract relative to this RFP.
Proposals to undertake this work should be submitted electronically to Deon Glaser, LEED Program Coordinator at by 5:00 p.m. Eastern, January 11, 2008.