Kids!Camp Youth Volunteer Opportunities
You can help make the 2014 Spina Bifida Association (SBA) Kids!Camp one to remember! Volunteering is one of the best ways to get connected and learn about SBA and Spina Bifida, the most common permanently-disabling birth defect in the United States that occurs when a baby’s spine fails to close during the first few months of pregnancy. Volunteers are one of the main reasons why Kids!Camp is an overwhelmingly positive experiences for children with Spina Bifida and their family members. Help make the 2014 SBA Kids!Camp a success!
Please read the various volunteer descriptions below and specify your preference when you sign up.
Opportunities For Youth Volunteers at Kids!camp
Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
While at Kids!Camp, volunteer may volunteer for any of the following positions:
- Group Leaders & Assistant Group Leaders for Youth
Volunteers work with staff members in the Youth unit and serve as small group leaders and assistant leaders.
- Nurse Runners
Volunteers transport Kids!Camp campers to and from the nurse’s station.
- Helpers to Transfer Kids
Volunteers assist in transferring children from wheelchairs into the pool and other activity settings. Volunteers should be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Provide assistance in leading camp activities such as games, crafts and swimming
- Build relationships with campers
- Interact well with Kids!Camp Staff, volunteers and campers
- Assist staff with the supervision of campers to oversee campers in regards to their safety and enjoyment of the camp experience
- Able to lift 30-50 pounds
Dates and times
Please check any of the dates, and the time periods for the dates you will be able to volunteer. If you are able to volunteer for the full day please check both AM and PM boxes.
___ Sunday, June 26 – 8:30 am – 5:30pm AM ____ PM ____
___ Monday, June 27 – 8:30am – 5:30pm AM ____ PM ____
___ Tuesday, June 28 – 8:30am – 12:30pm AM ____ PM ____
DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomington – Minneapolis South
7800 Normandale Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55439
Please send completed applications to:
Michelle Shelp, Kids!Camp Director
Kids!Camp Youth Volunteer Application
City ______State ______Zip ______
Cell Phone ______
Date of Birth ______Age: ______Gender: ______
I’m interested in volunteering for the following role(s):
______Assistant Group Leaders______Nurse Runner
______Helpers to Transfer Kids______General Volunteer
Lunch is provided to Kids!Camp Volunteers, Please list any dietary restrictions if any?
T-Shirt Size (Please Check One):
_____ Medium ______XXL
Welcome to SBA Kids!Camp! We hope you’ll have a great time working with the children in Kids!Camp. SBA’s goal is to provide a safe, fun, and positive experience for all Kids!Camp participants. As a youth volunteer, you play a valuable role in attaining this goal. Please read through this participation agreement.
While participating, Kids!Camp Youth Volunteers shall:
- Respect the individual rights, safety, and property of others.
- Refrain from using personal electronic devises including but not limited to mp3 players, cell phones, and computers during Kids!Camp.
- Avoid displays of overly affectionate behavior.
- Not participate in obscene and/or discriminatory language or roughhousing.
- Not be insubordinate to chaperones or the leader in charge of the event.
- Not possess or use weapons, alcoholic beverages, tobacco and/or illegal drugs at any Kids!Camp activity, or remain in the presence of individuals who possess or use these items.
- Abide by all Kids!Camp rules.
- Participate in activities to the best of his or her ability.
- Notify a chaperone or staff person if he or she has concerns or medical needs during Kids!Camp.
Penalties and/or disciplinary action for infractions of this code of conduct may include any or all of the following:
- Sending youth home;
- Barring that member from future SBA activities;
- Being held responsible for the cost of damages and repairs in the event of damage/destruction of property; and/or
- Releasing the member to the nearest law enforcement agency and/or the proper authorities for significant violations of state law.
Volunteer Group Leaders will notify parents of any actions taken.
Youth Volunteer Agreement
By my signature below, I acknowledge receipt of this document and acknowledge that I have read and agree to abide by the guidelines in this document. I am aware that if I violate the agreement, the staff may, at their sole discretion, terminate my participation, and my parent/guardian will be contacted and required to provide me with transportation home at my own expense. I understand that if I do not attend my volunteer assignment to attend a conference session I will be invoiced for that session.Additionally, I understand that the Spina Bifida Association works with partner organizations and at its discretion may report any disciplinary action to partner organizations.
Applicant Signature ______Date ______
Prior to the conference, email verifications will be sent to all registered volunteers to verify volunteer availability, relay details for orientation and volunteer check in, and any changes or conference updates.This section is to be completed if the applicant is under the age of 18.
Name of parent (s) or guardian (s): ______
Name of Volunteer Leader On-Site (if applicable): ______
Contact information for parent or guardian:
I hereby give my permission for my child, named above, to volunteer with Kids!Camp sponsored by the Spina Bifida Association. I authorize any of the Staff of the Spina Bifida Association to act on my behalf in any emergency situation including those requiring medical attention. I give my permission for all formats of photos and videos of my child taken during Kids!Camp to be used by SBA in its electronic and print publications. As a parent of an youth volunteer, I recognize that there are certain risks of injury and assume the full risk of any injuries, damages or loss resulting from my child’s participation in all the activities associated with Kids!Camp. I agree to waive, relinquish all claims I may have as a result of my child’s participation in the program. I further agree not to hold the Spina Bifida Association, staff, employees, agents, and other volunteers for any claims from injuries, damages or losses sustained by my child while associated with this program. I have read and fully understand this release form.
Parent/ Guardian Signature ______
Emergency Medical Information
Doctors Name ______
Current Medications ______
List Previous/ Current Medical Conditions