Job Title:Project Officer, Bike Belles, Sunderland
Salary:Grade F: £21,534 - £24,103 per annum
(dependent on relevant skills and experience)
Hours:37.5 hours per week (Tuesday to Saturday)
Fixed Term:Maternity cover
Base:Sustrans offices, Higham House, Newcastle NE1 8AF
Purpose of Job:
To co-ordinate the delivery of a women’s cycling project in Sunderland aimed at increasing the number of women using cycling as a viable method of travel for leisure, work and other everyday journeys.
Place in Organisation Structure:
The postholder will report to the Delivery Co-ordinator, North
Internal: Delivery Co-ordinator, North
Head of Delivery, North
England Director, North
Volunteer Co-ordinator, North
Research and Monitoring Unit staff
Head office staff
External:Sunderland City Council
Community groups in Sunderland
- To work with Sustrans staff, Sunderland City Council, local community groups and other organisations in the Sunderland area to promote a greater uptake in women’s cycling
- To plan, programme, implement and manage cycling activity programmes for women in various locations throughout Sunderland.
- To manage a project budget, procure equipment and services and report to regional and national staff on accounts information.
- To identify barriers to greater levels of women’s cycling and devise a programme of work tailored around overcoming these barriers.
- To deliver a series of practical engagement activities, including cycle skills & confidence training, cycle maintenance, led rides, active travel awareness events and active travel information and advice sessions.
- To promote local walking and cycling infrastructure – specifically working with project volunteers to signpost local routes.
- To manage the project activity database on an ongoing basis, using pre-defined procedures to ensure accurate data entry and outcomes can be reported against.
- To work alongside Sustrans regional staff to identify future opportunities in Sunderland.
- To work alongside the Northern Volunteer Co-ordinator to recruit and train Bike Belles volunteers to support delivery of the project and to ensure sustainability of active travel initiatives.
- To work with the Sustrans Research and Monitoring Unit to ensure data collection from project participants is both accurate and relevant.
Communication and marketing
- To support and comply with the charity’s guidance on branding, tone of voice and key messages, positively contributing towards raising Sustrans’ profile.
Training and personal development:
- To attend essential Sustrans training as required by the Charity.
- To ensure own personal development by working to objectives set as part of the Charity’s appraisal process.
Health & Safety, Safeguarding and Equality, Diversity and Inclusion:
- To support and comply with the organisation’s policy for the management of Health and Safety.
- To support and comply with the organisation’s policies for the management of safeguarding.
- To support and comply with the organisation’s policy and procedures relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion and apply principles of best practice in own role.
- To perform any other duties consistent with the nature and grade of the role as agreed with the line manager.
The post holder will be based in Sustrans’ Newcastle Office though most activity will take place in Sunderland. Working hours will be flexible between Tuesdays and Saturdays with requirement to work most Saturdays and some evenings.
This job description does not form part of the contract of employment, but indicates how that contract should be performed. The job description may be subject to amendment in the light of experience and in consultation with the postholder.
Compiled by: Delivery Coordinator, North
Project Officer, Bike Belles, Sunderland (SUS2060)
Person SpecificationCriteria / Essential
Qualifications, education and training / Good standard of education
Experience / Experience of project delivery with a range of partners
Experience of delivering behavioural change projects
Experience of delivering projects in a community setting
Experience of working with adults and young people from a range of backgrounds, ethnic groups and abilities
Experience of recruiting and managing volunteers
Experience of budget management
Experience of producing reports and monitoring
Skills and abilities / Ability to prioritise and manage own workload
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Excellent interpersonal skills
Ability to motivate and enthuse others
Ability to build strong working relationships
Ability to work with limited supervision and plan, prioritise and work to tight deadlines
Ability to communicate and collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders/ partners
Good presentation skills
IT literate and experienced in the use of MS Office
Knowledge / Knowledge of effective engagement and behaviour change initiatives
Knowledge of cycling and walking infrastructure and best practice standards
Other / Committed to Sustrans’ vision
Criteria / Desirable
Qualifications, and training / Educated to degree level or equivalent
Current first aid certificate
Cycle / walk leader training (can be provided)
Experience / Experience of engaging with community groups
Understanding of basic bicycle mechanics
Experience of leading workshops and training activities
Knowledge / Geographical knowledge of the Sunderland area