JOB TITLE: Media and Public Relations Manager
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Head of Communications
LOCATION: Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham, UK
CONTRACT: Permanent Contract
Subject to a six month probationary period
HOURS: 37.5 hours per week
The Vegan Society has significantly raised its media profile in recent years, helping veganism become an increasingly mainstream lifestyle. Can you help us build on this? We’re looking for a Media and Public Relations Manager, based in Birmingham, to secure even more positive coverage for both the society and the vegan movement.
You will be skilled at developing relationships across all media, and have the experience of juggling demands from journalists, editors and producers in a busy working environment. You will work proactively, thinking creatively to generate new ideas for content, while also identifying issues and topical items upon which the society can publically comment. You will respond quickly to requests from journalists, often to provide quotes setting out the society’s position on a given issue.
Your excellent communications and copywriting skills will enable you to produce engaging press releases, news items, blogs and other articles, and edit those of your colleagues. You will be media savvy with a thorough understanding of the workings of local and national media, and recognition of what makes a story attractive to the press. This will enable you to successfully persuade and influence the press to run our stories.
Working with the Head of Communications you will devise and implement a media and public relations plan and strategy.
This role is permanent, full time and office-based with some opportunity for flexible working.
The salary will be dependent on experience within the range of £22-25k.
Working at The Vegan Society is a very rewarding experience. As well as offering a fully supportive team of likeminded individuals to work alongside, we also offer:
• A solution-focused atmosphere and hard working environment
• Flexible working hours, with the possibility of some remote working
• Employee Assistance Programme and health cash-back scheme
• Cycle-to-work scheme
• Childcare vouchers scheme
• Animal companion compassionate leave
• 28 Days leave and 8 Bank Holidays
• Office location in the Jewellery Quarter of Birmingham
The application deadline is 5pm Monday 31st October. Please send completed application forms to . We expect to hold interviews during the week beginning 7th November.
Media and Public Relations Manager PERSON SPECIFICATION
The knowledge, skills, and/or ability required to carry out the role effectively (and which may be developed) are listed below.ESSENTIAL / DESIRABLE
· Experience working as a media manager, press officer, journalist or other directly relevant role
· Knowledge of how to make a story attractive to journalists
· A good understanding of media relations and a thorough understanding of the needs and workings of national and local media across print, broadcast and online.
· Basic knowledge of vegan nutrition and health / · Understanding of working in/with NGOs or small charitable organisations
· Good knowledge of environmental and/or non-human animal issues within the EU
Education / qualifications & training
· Educated to degree level or possess a relevant qualification or appropriate experience in a directly related post
Skills & abilities
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to write copy for press and news releases at short notice to a high standard
· Ability to recognise and develop a PR story with strong news value
· Ability to develop relationships with journalists in print and broadcast media
· Ability to think creatively to generate new ideas for media content
· Ability to persuade and influence the media to run our stories
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and work to deadlines while meeting agreed objectives / · Crisis or reputation management experience
· Experience of representation of an organisation as a spokesperson in broadcast media
· Confident, articulate and proactive
· Work well under pressure and able to juggle several projects at once
· Approachable and adaptable
· Team player keen to support colleagues
· Adhere to a vegan diet and lifestyle for the duration of employment with The Vegan Society
Media and Public Relations Manager JOB DESCRIPTION
DUTIES & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Planning
· Develop and implement The Vegan Society media and public relations strategy.
· Develop and implement a PR crisis management strategy.
· Ensure accurate and clear monitoring and evaluation of activities in order to determine the success or otherwise of communications strategies.
· Plan integrated approaches to
· Idea generation for press releases, news stories and other articles.
· Proactively identify issues on which the society can comment, preparing a response in line with our policies.
· Preparation of accurate and engaging written content for media releases.
· Promote Vegan Society successes.
· Ensure that all public statements follow society guidelines on style and policy.
Media Relationship Management
· Identify and develop relationships with relevant journalists, producers and editors.
· Act as a main contact for all media enquiries.
· Providing quotes and statements setting out the position of the society on any given issue.
· Distributing media releases through our distribution service provider.
· Pitching articles to editors.
· Arrange media interviews for staff and draft briefings for them when appropriate.
· Ensure any negative coverage is swiftly and effectively responded to.
· Develop and deliver training for staff and volunteers in media skills.
· Report to the senior management team on the progress of our media engagement.
The job description is not exhaustive and you may be asked to carry out additional tasks which are appropriate to your job role, as required by your line manager.