Job Title: Meat Department Manager Date: 2/11
Directs and controls the operation of the Meat Department by understanding related work areas. Supervises department personnel; plans and orders merchandise; ensures customer service and product quality, freshness and selection. Coordinates and manages department operations so as to control costs, meet targeted labor, maintain projected profit margins, and meet or exceed sales goals. Performs department clerk duties as needed.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
· Meets departmental projected sales and gross margin objectives: creates effective promotional and seasonal displays; prepares, proofs, stages and packages products; prevents shrink; oversees cost/quality control; orders necessary products and ingredients; prepares department sales/production guides; prepares, charts and records sales dollars/percentages; computes gross profit; processes and maintains accurate department records and controls expenses.
· Maintains and encourages an atmosphere of fast, friendly, courteous customer service, etc.
· Ensures adequate product quantity, quality and freshness. Orders, checks, receives and controls inventory; builds, maintains and organizes product display and storage areas; stocks and rotates products; inspects displays daily for substandard and outdated product and discards outdated or spoiled products; ensures proper temperatures are maintained in all phases of product handling and preparation; follows retail labeling laws and company code dating policy; follows company policy on processing re-work or reduced-to-clear items, damage and spoilage of product; trims, cuts, wraps, trays, displays and waters products as needed; ensures proper pricing and signing; conducts inventories of all department items; prepares food items as needed.
· Supervises, motivates, trains and participates in the hiring of Meat Department personnel. Monitors employee performance, recommends personnel action (hiring, firing, layoff and disciplinary action), schedules personnel according to coverage needs and service level. Maintains a safe and secure work environment.
· Performs customer relation duties and engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques.
· Ensures proper merchandising of product by understanding schematics, merchandising of advertised and special items, proper signing procedures, analyzing cutting tests and meeting customer demand.
· Maintains cleanliness and eye-appeal of work area, storage area, equipment and retail displays according to company policy and legal regulations; cleans work area by mopping, sweeping, taking out garbage, etc.
· Maintains a safe/secure work environment and ensures compliance with back door security policies.
· Performs receiving duties: verifies orders against invoices; reports shortages and claims to ensure proper billing; breaks down loads and dates product; cuts cases; stacks, prices and marks merchandise; etc.
· Breaks down freight by moving product, placing it in inventory, operating fork lift, etc.
· Performs all job duties and responsibilities with honesty and integrity.
· Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
· Communicating with co-workers and customers and following written instructions.
· Demonstrating an understanding of overall company practices through previous experience in the meat department or equivalent.
· Providing leadership through skills in communication, interpersonal, management of people, customer relations, employee relations, analysis, planning orders, judgment, reaction to business activity, etc.
· Performing basic math (add, subtract, divide and multiply) and computing weights and measures.
· Operating computers and windows software in a work setting.
· Perform all duties and responsibilities of meat department clerk at a fully competent and independent level.
· Perform supervisory skills (e.g., interviewing, scheduling, hiring, counseling, training, disciplining, etc.)
· Effectively utilize excellent verbal, written, electronic and inter-personal communication skills.
· Perform safe/quick movements and operate related equipment with manual dexterity and good hand/eye coordination.
· Perform duties with mental alertness involving potential hazards with respect to related procedures, equipment (e.g., knives, cookers), and work aides.
· Work around machinery emitting heat and cold conditions.
· Have knowledge of all areas of department production.
· Learn product variability, perishability, safety and sanitation procedures and department policies.
· Conduct visual inspections and read reports, manuals, etc.
· Calculate inventory.
· Stand for long periods of time, walk and move rapidly, bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently.
· Perform repetitious arm and hand movements frequently.
· Work around machinery emitting heat and or cold conditions.
· Reach, lift, stack and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to 50 lbs. within the range of floor level to overhead frequently.
· Push and pull fully loaded hand trucks and pallet jacks containing product of substantial weight.
· Use cleaning chemicals and handle related food products.
· Perform primary duties with efficiency and accuracy.
· Reach, lift, and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 80 lbs. frequently; Work with hands exposed to moisture; Work for prolonged periods of time in a refrigerated area (32 to 50 degrees fahrenheit), handling refrigerated goods (occasionally -20 degrees and frequently 28 degrees Fahrenheit).
· Food Safety Managers certification
· Food Handlers Certification - Per State Laws
Machines and Equipment Operated:
· Computer terminal.
· All department specific equipment which could include any of the following: kitchen utensils, knives and appliances, automatic slicers, grinders, stuffers, tumblers, smokehouse, vacuum sealers, overwrappers, scales, band saws, meat tenderizers, meat slicers, grinders, bone dusters, bulkers, bailers, and cubers, mixers, dough machines, shrink wrappers, cash registers, trash compactors, garbage disposals, cardboard bailers, pallet jacks, hand trucks, fork lift.
Preferred Education, Experience and/or Credentials:
· Completion of or participation in the Manager-In-Training (MIT) Program or similar supervisor/manager education or training.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws. The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of personnel may vary.