SC Standard 8-3.4 Explain how igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks are interrelated in the rock cycle.
• ______ are naturally occurring combinations of minerals.
• Most consist of two or more different ______.
• Rocks are classified according to how they were ______.
• Physical Properties of Rocks:
- ______(may have a distinctive color for identification)
- ______(is the color of the mineral in powered form- shows the true color of the mineral)
- ______(is a measure of the mineral’s resistance to scratching)
- ______(property of minerals that indicates how much the surface of a mineral reflects light or if it is SHINY.)
THERE ARE 3 TYPES OF ROCKS
- ______Examples: Granite, Obsidian, Pumice
- ______Sandstone, Limestone, Shale
- ______Slate, Marble, Gneiss
IGNEOUS ROCKS (VOLCANOES)
- IGNEOUS ROCKS: form from ______or ______. (MOLTEN ROCK)
- Igneous Rocks forms around ______.
2 types of Igneous RocksExtrusive Igneous Rock / Intrusive Igneous Rock
- ______ – Igneous rock formed from ______that erupted from a volcano. (exterior – exit)
- Rocks cools ______.
- Because rocks cool quickly, the extrusive igneous rock mineral crystals are ______or ______crystals are formed
- Examples: Basalt, Obsidian
- ______ – Igneous rock that formed when ______hardened beneath or ______a volcano. (interior – inside)
- Rocks cools ______.
- Because rocks cool slowly, the intrusive igneous rock mineral crystals are that form are ______
- Example: Granite
IGENOUS ROCKS PROCESSES
Igneous Rocks goes mainly through processes:
Sedimentary Rocks (Near Bodies of Water)
- Forms ______ or where bodies of water use to be
- Sedimentary rocks are made up of ______.
- Sediment are small, solid pieces of rock, mineral grains, or shell fragments.
- Sediments are formed through the processes of ______ of rocks exposed at Earth’s surface.
- These rocks are always forming all around you.
Two Processes that make Sedimentary Rocks
- 1. ______- process that ______sediments together.
At first, the sediment fits together loosely. Over long periods of time the layers build up.
The layers are heavy and press down on each other.
- 2. ______ – process in which dissolved minerals crystallize and ______sediment together.
- Sedimentary rocks usually have ______ within them.
- Sedimentary rocks are also known for having ______.
Metamorphic Rocks (Underneath the Earth’s Surface)
- Metamorphic rocks form ______.
- Forms when ______are ______by great heat and/or pressure
- Metamorphic rocks are heated, squeezed, folded, or ______changed by contact with ______.
Metamorphic Rocks Processes
Metamorphic goes through 2 processes:
Metamorphic Rocks Classification
- ______Rocks – Have obvious ______.
- ______Rocks – Have no visible layers.
ALL ROCKS: WHAT PROCESS DO ALL ROCKS GO THROUGH? ______
THE ROCK CYCLE: The rock cycle is an ongoing process. The sample diagram illustrates the series of natural processes that can ______.