From the College Board Website

From the College Board Website

From the College Board website:

You must also bring two forms of identification. The primary form must be a government-issued photo ID

with signature, such as a passport, state-issued driver’s license, state-issued ID card, tribal ID, naturalization card

or certificate of citizenship. The secondary form of ID must have a photo or signature, such as a Social Security card, student ID, credit card or employee ID. All DANTES-funded military candidates must present a current military ID.

Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government- issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form which is valid for one year ( The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.

From the DSST website:

Student Identification

Prior to the test administration, all test takers must present current and valid picture identification such as a driver's license, passport, or picture student identification card. Expired identification is not acceptable. Students may not test without appropriate identification.

We're basically looking for a combination of IDs that establish the fact that the person in front of us is the named person -- thus the need for a photo ID -- and that it is an officially issued document (some might say "government" issued) such as a passport, birth certificate, or school issued identification (including the format found on the College Board website that we already mentioned.)
I hope this information is helpful.
Academic Advisor and Coordinator of Testing
College of Adult & Professional Studies
Graduate School
Bethel University

According to page 8 of one must be government-issued. Please check with College Board if you need clarification about identification for CLEP exams.

According to page 2 of the ID must be government-issued. Please check with Prometric if you need clarification about identification for DSST exams.


Tom Yenter

Student Academic Advisor

Undergraduate Online Learning

Northwestern College

All students need to bring in two forms of ID, one primary and one secondary. Here is what we accept for ID’s:


· Current Driver’s License

· State or Federal ID Card

· Current Passport

· Naturalization Card

· Tribal ID

Secondary – ID must have photo or signature:

· Military ID with photo only

· Employee Photo ID

· College ID

· Social Security Card

· Unused ID from primary ID choices

I also called CLEP regarding the student ID form to see if we do accept that for identification. We can accept that as a primary ID, however if they are homeschooled, then they would need to bring the form to a Notary Public with a current photo and have them process the form with a seal. We do not accept a birth certificate because it does not have a photo or signature of the student. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding CLEP testing or making appointments. Have a great day!

Lea Poirier | Academic Coordinator

Minnesota School of Business | Elk River

ph. 763-367-7019 | fax 763-367-7001

North Hennepin Community College

Registration forms and information about CLEP can be downloaded on our website at

 Once the CLEP registration form is received by our office, Kidist Worku will register the exam with CLEP and call the student to set an appointment. For further questions about CLEP you can reach her at 763-424-0727.

 ID is required to take an exam. If a student does not have a picture ID, driver’s license, etc. then the student can meet the ID requirements by showing a birth certificate or social security card. (2) forms of ID are required. You can also visit the CLEP program at for more information about a High School ID form that can be completed and submitted upon testing, study guides and testing tips.

 The cost for taking a CLEP exam is $20 (submitted to NHCC with the registration form) and $77 which is payable to CLEP at the time of testing.

Current cost for getting a state ID card is $18 and requires you to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate as well as your social security card.