Unit: Atomic Structure
Name: ______Date: ______MOD: _____
Extra Credit: Atomic Structure (Must be completed individually)
- Which atomic theory is the most common?
- Quantum Theory
- John Dalton
- Ernest Rutherford
- What do atoms of the same element have in common?
- Same number of electrons
- Same number of protons
- Same number of neutrons
- An atom with an atomic number of 12 and a mass of 24 contains how many electrons, protons, and neutrons?
- Which of these has 28 protons and 26 electrons?
Use the following diagram to answer question 5.
- The isotopes of Uranium have different:
- Mass numbers
- Chemical behaviors
- Atomic numbers
- Positions on the periodic table
- An atom with an atomic number 60 and a mass number 125 contains ______protons, ______neutrons, and ______electrons.
- Which part of Dalton’s Atomic Theory is not longer considered to be true?
- The smallest part of an element that still has the properties of the element is the ______.
- Scientist now believe that the location and movement of an electron is best described as a ______of electrons. This is the ______mechanical model.
- Given the isotopic notation Zn64 and Zn66 answer the following question:
- The isotopes have different ______
- A student tries to identify an element that is in a unmarked bottle. The element is very shiny and is a good conductor of electricity. The element is a
- The same student picks up another unmarked bottle containing another element. This element is yellow, brittle, and conducts heat poorly. This element is a
- Another element has properties of metals and nonmetals. This element is probably a
- The periodic table shows a repeating pattern of elements when the elements are arranged according to increasing ______number.
- The third period of elements contains ______energy levels.
- The Roman numeral “A” number group number tells you how many ______are in the outermost energy level.
- How many unpaired electrons are in each of the following?
- C = ______
- P = ______
- S = ______
- Ne = ______
- Which orbital(s) are in the first energy level? ______
- Which orbital(s) are in the second energy level? ______
- Which orbital(s) are in the third energy level? ______
- Given the orbital notation 3d7.
- The 3 is the ______
- The d is the ______
- The 7 is the number of ______
- The Cl atom has atomic number of 17. How many unpaired electrons does it have? ______
- Give the correct electron configuration for each of the following elements below:
- Cl ______
- C ______
- Look at the electron configurations below and identify each element.
- 1s22s22p63s23p5 ______
- 1s22s22p63s23p6 ______
- What general statement can you say about the noble gases? ______
- Given the data below, fill in the missing information.
Isotope / Atomic number / Mass number / Protons / Electrons / Neutrons / Charge
G / 17 / 19 / -1
H / 90 / 42 / 40
- Arrange the following groups of elements in order of increasing atomic radius.
Al, Mg, Na, S, Si ______
- Arrange the following groups of elements in order of increasing first ionization energy. As, Bi, N, P, Sb ______
- Arrange the following groups of elements in order of increasing electronegativity.
Al, Cl, Mg, Na, S, Si, ______