EL POLLO LOCO
Job Title: Risk Specialist
Department: Risk Management
Reports to: Manager, Claims
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non- Exempt
Prepared by: Karen Van Dyke, Director, Human ResourcesDate Prepared:June 8, 2016
Approved by: Shaun Jackson, Director, Risk Management Date Approved:June 8, 2016
Serves as the first line of communication with Field Operations and El Pollo Loco Guests in the effective and efficient facilitation of workers’ compensation and general liability claims. Assists with the investigation, mitigation and resolution of employee injuries and guest incidents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:% of Time / Essential Duties and Responsibilities
20% / Conducts intake, triage, correspondence and investigation for employee injuries and WC claims. Reports claims to third party administrator as needed. Audits invoices from carriers/attorneys/vendors and submits for payment as appropriate. Performs routine clerical duties such asWCLOA chart maintenance and mail distribution procedures.
20% / Responsible for intake, triage, correspondence, investigation and settlement discussions forguest incidents and early stage liability matters. Works with Area Leaders, Restaurant Managers and employees as necessary to communicate deadlines, gather data and investigate all manner of incidents and claims.
20% / Develops and maintains organized files and record keeping systems that are easily accessible, identifiable and succinct (e.g. incident reports, complaints, sub-rosa claims, theft/loss and claim files). Distributes reports based on various data sets including: loss runs, safety audit reports, safety and security compliance data, exception reports, accident investigations, and subrogation recovery efforts.
15% / Conducts intensive investigation for specific claims (WC, GL, Auto, Property) as needed and prepares summary reports of necessary facts. Regularly provides recommendations to Risk, Operations or Executive Team on findings.
5% / Monitors subpoena requests, investigates claim status (if any), and provides the appropriate response to EPL Legal regarding information in the electronic claim file. Submits claim file documentation to assigned counsel electronically.
15% / Supports Director of Risk and Risk Management personnel as needed. Assists with special projects, gathering and summarizing data, preparing reports and presentation materials.
5% / Interacts professionally and ethically, constructivelyparticipating as a collaborative team member or leader in pursuit of common goals.
100.00% / Total
Non-Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee and may include other duties as assigned.
The Claims Specialisthas no oversight or accountability for others.
Qualifications – Education, Experience, License/Certifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. The requirements listed below are representative of the education and/or experience required.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent required; BA degree preferred. Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in workers’ compensation and general liability administration required, preferably with a multi-site/state, hospitality organization. Thorough knowledge of workers’ compensation laws and project management skills desired. Bi-lingual in Spanish is preferred.
Valid driver’s license required. WCCP, CPCU and/or ARM certifications desired.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret routine and complex reports, documents and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively speak with internal customers, external customers, vendors,and franchisees.
- Ability to effectively listen and respond to customer needs.
- Ability to effectively make oral presentations to broad audiences.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to solve practical and abstract problems and deal with a variety of known and unknown variables in situations where frequent and limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and plan multiple work assignments and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines.
Computer Software Skills:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Professional (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and proficiency with the internet required.
- Must be able to effectively maintain confidential information.
- Ability to quickly adapt to change and adjust priorities to meet the organization’s needs.
- Ability to establish rapport and credibility with all levels of the organization and outside groups, comfortably embracing diversity.
- Readily accepts and processes employee feedback and is timely with responses.
- Ability to look for new ideas and approaches to problem-solving and continuous improvement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The Claims Specialist position regularly sits, hears, talks, uses close vision to view objects, and uses hands repetitively to reach/handle/feel/grasp objects.
- The position occasionally stands, walks and lifts/pushes up to 10 lbs.
- The Claims Specialist position seldom stoops/kneels/crouches/crawls, uses distant vision, travels by car/plane and lifts/pushes up to 20 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The work environment is a typical office environment with low levels of noise.
Anyone interested in the position should contact Marisin Gordillo, Claims Manager: (714)5995026, .