Name ______Date ______Per ______
DNA REPLICATION LAB- Data Sheet
1) What is a monomer of DNA called?
2) What are the 3 parts of the nucleotide?
3) What are the 3 major enzymes that play a role in the process of DNA replication?
4) In this lab, you will be replicating a DNA strand with 6 base-pairs. One of the parental strands will have the following sequence of nitrogenous bases: ATTCCG. What will be the sequence of its complementary strand? ______
5) You will draw each 5-Carbon sugar as a rectangle and assign it a color: ______
6) You will draw each phosphate group as a triangle and assign it a color: ______
7) You will draw each Nitrogenous bases as circles. Assign them each a different color below:
Adenine = ______Thymine: ______
Cytosine = ______Guanine: ______
8) Draw/ label/ color one of your nucleotides below:
9) Does the Nitrogenous base attach to the sugar or the phosphate group? ______10) Using the sequence of base pairs given above, and the shapes and colors above, draw/ color your parental strands of DNA. Be sure to include a detailed key.
11) How many base-pairs are represented in your piece of DNA? ______
12) What shapes makes up the backbone of your DNA double helix drawing?
13) What makes up the backbone of an actual DNA double helix?
14) What shapes makes up the rungs of your DNA double helix drawing?
15) What makes up the rungs of an actual DNA double helix?
16) What does “antiparallel” mean if we are talking about DNA?
17) What are the base-pairing rules (Chargaff’s Rule)?
18) Which enzyme is responsible for cutting apart (or “unzipping”) the DNA? ______19) Draw the enzyme helicase unzipping your DNA strand. Stop when you have drawn 4 base pairs “unzipped”. Label helicase and the replication fork. Make sure your drawing is detailed and in color.
20) What enzyme is responsible for adding nucleotides to the growing DNA strand? ______
21) What is the other role of this enzyme?
22) Describe this process in detail.23) After replication is complete, you will end up with 2 DNA double helices. Draw your newly synthesized DNA molecules in this box. Label both parent strands (the strands that came from your original model built) and both daughter strands (the 2 new strands).
24) What kind of bonds form between the new nitrogenous bases? ______
25) What kind of bonds form between the new sugar-phosphate backbone? ______
26) What happens if an “incorrect” or “wrong” nucleotide is added?
27) Another major enzyme discussed in lecture that is involved in DNA replication was not represented in this lab. The name of this enzyme is ______.
28) What is the function of the above enzyme?