CV: Jon D. Vogel, MD 1
Jon D. Vogel, M.D.
Office address: 12631 E. 17th Avenue, Rm 6014
Aurora, CO 80045
1992 B.A.New York University, New York, NY; Biology
1997 M.D.Hahnmenann University Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
1997-2004General Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
2004-2005Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
20013-presentAssociate Professor of Surgery, University of Colorado Medical School
2005-2013Staff Surgeon, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
2013-presentSurgeon, University of Colorado Hospital
1997Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
2004Surgical Residents Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital
2012Distinguished Teacher f the Year Award, Cleveland Clinic Colorectal Surgery
2013Cleveland Magazine, “Best Doctors in Cleveland”
Licenses and Certification:
2005American Board of Surgery, General Surgery Board Certified, (#50053)
2006American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery (#1910)
2014American Board of Surgery, General Surgery Rertification Completed
2016American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery moc (r-1313)
Teaching Experience and Responsibilities:
2007-2013Colorectal Surgery Residency Program Director, Cleveland Clinic
2005-2013Regular participant and lecturer in colorectal surgery and general surgery educational curriculum, Cleveland Clinic
Visiting Professorship / Invited Speaker / Moderator
20052nd Cukurova University Coloproctology and Stoma Therapy Symposium, Adana, Turkey
Quality Assessment in Colorectal Surgery
2006American College of Surgeons – 92nd Annual Clinical Congress, Chicago, Illinois
Ulcerative Colitis with Dysplasia: The Risks of Nonoperative Treatment
200756th annual Brazialian Congress of Colorpoctology, Curitiba, Brazil
200728th Annual Turnbull Symposium, Cleveland, OH
Hereditary Colorectal Cancer Misdiagnosis: Failure of work-up
200829th Annual Turnbull Symposium, Cleveland, OH.
Benign disease session moderator
200930th Annual Turnbull Symposium & Residents Day, Cleveland, OH
Anal pain and bleeding
Clostridium difficile colitis
20094th Annual ASEAN Society of Colorectal Surgeons International Scientific Congress, Bangkok, Thailand. Hand-assisted laparoscopic colectomy and Morbidity of laparoscopic colectomy
2010Brazialian Society of Coloproctology, Rio De Janieiro, Brazil
201031st Annual Turnbull Symposium & Residents Day, Cleveland, OH, September 2010
NSQIP / Outcomes Studies
201132nd Annual Turnbull Symposium & Residents Day, Cleveland, OH. September 2011
Program Director (Residents Day)
Benign Disease Case Presentation Moderator
2012Turkish College of Surgeons, Izmir, Turkey
Quality Assessment in Colorectal Surgery
201223rd Annual Jagelman International Colorectal Disease Symposium Fort Lauderdale, Florida,
Avoiding Readmission and Session moderator (videos)
2012National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT
2012Michigan State University General Surgery Education Conference, East Lansing, MI
Surgical Site Infection in Colorectal Surgery
2012Cleveland Clinic Colorectal Surgery Visiting Professor, Weston, FL
Quality Assessment in Colorectal Surgery
2013University of Colorado Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, Aurora, CO.
Opportunities for Quality Improvement in Colorectal Surgery
2014University of Colorado Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, Aurora, CO.
“Ulcerative Colitis Surgery”
2015University of Colorado Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, Aurora, CO.
2015Rocky Mountain IBD Conference, Snowmass, CO
“IBD surgery: A surgeon’s perspective”
2015American Board of Surgery, Certifying Exam, Associate Examiner
2015American society of Colorectal Surgeons Annual Meeting, Session Moderator
2015American College of Surgeon Annual Meeting, Session Moderator
2015 American College of Surgeons, Invited speaker, Anorectal Surgery Educational Program
2016American society of Colorectal Surgeons Annual Meeting, Session Moderator
Major Administrative Responsibilities:
2007-2013Colorectal Surgery Quality Improvement Officer, Cleveland Clinic
2007-2013Colorectal Surgery Residency Program Director, Cleveland Clinic
2013-presentColorectal Surgery Program Director, University of Colorado School of Medicine
2005-presentJournal of the American College of Surgeons, Occasional Reviewer
2005-presentDiseases of the Colon and Rectum, Occasional Reviewer
2014-present American Society of Colorectal Surgeons Clinical Practice Guideline Committee Member
Original, peer reviewed articles:
- Meguid C, Schulick RD, Schefter TE, Lieu CH, Boniface M, Williams, N, Vogel, J, Gajdos, C, McCarter M & Edil BH. The Multidisciplinary Approach to GI Cancer Results in Change of Diagnosis and Management of Patients. Ann Surg Oncol 2016, in press
- Chapman BC, Moore HB, Overbey DM, Morton AP, Harnke B, Gerich ME, Vogel JD. Fecal Microbiota Transplant in Patients with Clostridium Difficile Infection: A systematic Review. J Trauma Acute Care Surgery. 2016 in press
- Vogel JD, Feingold DL, Stewart DB, Turner JS, Boutros M, Chun J, Steele SR. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons' Clinical Practice Guideline for Colonic Volvulus and Acute Colonic Psuedo-obstruction. Dis Colon Rectum. 2016 in press
- Strong S, Steele SR, Boutrous M, Bordineau L, Chun J, Stewart DB, Vogel J, Rafferty JF; Clinical Practice Guideline for the Surgical Management of Crohn's Disease. Dis Colon Rectum. 2015 Nov;58(11):1021-36.
- Gezen FC, Aytac E, Costedio MM, Vogel JD, Gorgun E. Hand-Assisted versus Straight-Laparoscopic versus Open Proctosigmoidectomy for Treatment of Sigmoid and Rectal Cancer: A Case-Matched Study of 100 Patients. Perm J. 2015 Spring;19(2):10-4
- Mino JS, Gandhi NS, Stocchi LL, Baker ME, Liu X, Remzi FH, Monteiro R, Vogel JD. Preoperative risk factors and radiographic findings predictive of laparoscopic conversion to open procedures in Crohn's disease. J Gastrointest Surg. 2015(6):1007-14
- Ahmed Ali U, Dunne T, Gurland B, Vogel JD, Kiran RP. Actual versus estimated length of stay after colorectal surgery: which factors influence a deviation? Am J Surg. 2014 Oct;208(4):663-9
- Cohen SM, Vogel JD, Marcet JE, Candiotti KA. Liposome bupivacaine for improvement in economic outcomes and opioid burden in GI surgery: IMPROVE Study pooled analysis. J Pain Res. 2014 Jun 24;7:359-66
- Erem HH, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Vogel JD. Venous thromboembolism in colorectal surgery: skip SCIP or comply? Tech Coloproctol. 2014 Aug;18(8):719-24
- Martin ST, Vogel JD. Restorative procedures in colonic crohn disease. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2013 ;26(2):100-5
- Ahmed Ali U, Vogel JD. Safety of surgical resident training. Adv Surg. 2013;47:45-57
- Aytac E, Londono JM, Erem HH, Vogel JD, Costedio MM. Impact of stress dose steroids on the outcomes of restorative proctocolectomy in patients with ulcerative colitis. Dis Colon Rectum. 2013 Nov;56(11):1253-8
- Melton GB, Vogel JD, Swenson BR, Remzi FH, Rothenberger DA, Wick EC. Continuous intraoperative temperature measurement and surgical site infection risk: analysis of anesthesia information system data in 1008 colorectal procedures. Ann Surg. 2013;258(4):606-13.
- Vogel JD. Liposome bupivacaine (EXPAREL®) for extended pain relief in patients undergoing ileostomy reversal at a single institution with a fast-track discharge protocol: an IMPROVE Phase IV health economics trial. J Pain Res. 2013:29;6:605-10
- Turina M, Remzi FH, Dietz DW, Kiran RP, Seyidova-Khoshknabi D, Hammel JP, Vogel JD. Quantification of risk for early unplanned readmission after rectal resection: a single-center study. J Am Coll Surg. 2013;217(2):200-8
- Kin C, Snyder K, Kiran RP, Remzi FH, Vogel JD. Accidental puncture or laceration in colorectal surgery: a quality indicator or a complexity measure? Dis Colon Rectum. 2013;56(2):219-25
- Heneghan HM, Martin ST, Kiran RP, Khoury W, Stocchi L, Remzi FH, Vogel JD. Laparoscopic colorectal surgery for obese patients: decreased conversions with the hand-assisted technique. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013;17(3):548-54
- Sulu B, Aytac E, Stocchi L, Vogel JD, Kiran RP. The minimally invasive approach is associated with reduced perioperative thromboembolic and bleeding complications for patients receiving preoperative chronic oral anticoagulant therapy who undergo colorectal surgery. Surg Endosc. 2013;27(4):1339-45
- Abdelmalak BB, Cata JP, Bonilla A, You J, Kopyeva T, Vogel JD, Campbell S, Sessler DI. Intraoperative tissue oxygenation and postoperative outcomes after major non-cardiac surgery: an observational study. Br J Anaesth. 2013;110(2):241-9
- Kiran RP, Ali U, Coffey JC, Vogel JD, Pokala N, Lian L, Fazio VW. Impact of resident participation in surgical operations on postoperative outcomes. Ann Surgery 2012 Ann Surg. 2012 Sep;256(3):469-75.
- Shapiro R, Vogel JD, Kiran RP. Risk of postoperative venous thromboembolism after laparoscopic and open colorectal surgery: an additional benefit of the minimally invasive approach? Dis Colon Rectum. 2011;54(12):1496-502.
- Vogel JD, Lian L, Kalady MF, de Campos-Lobato LF, Alves-Ferreira PC, Remzi FH. Hand-assisted laparoscopic right colectomy: how does it compare to conventional laparoscopy? J Am Coll Surg. 2011;212(3):367-72.
- Attaluri V, Kiran RP, Vogel JD, Remzi FH, Church JM. Risk factors for urinary tract infections in colorectal compared with vascular surgery: a need to review current present-on-admission policy? J Am Coll Surg. 2011 Mar;212(3):356-61.
- Kirat HT, Pokala N, Vogel JD, Fazio VW, Kiran RP. Can laparoscopic ileocolic resection be performed with comparable safety to open surgery for regional enteritis: data from National Surgical Quality Improvement Program. Am Surg. 2010 Dec;76(12):1393-6.
- de Campos-Lobato LF, Dietz DW, Stocchi L, Vogel JD, Lavery IC, Goldblum JR, Skacel M, Pelley RJ, Kalady MF. Clinical Implictions of Acellular Mucin Pools in Resected Rectal Cancer with Pathologic Complete Response to Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation. Colorectal Dis. 2010 Dec 22
- Kalady MF, McGannon E, Vogel JD, Manilich E, Fazio VW, Church JM. Risk of colorectal adenoma and carcinoma after colectomy for colorectal cancer in patients meeting Amsterdam criteria. Ann Surg. 2010 Sep;252(3):507-11
- Kiran RP, El-Gazzaz GH, Vogel JD, Remzi FH. Laparoscopic approach significantly reduces surgical site infections after colorectal surgery: data from national surgical quality improvement program. J Am Coll Surg. 2010 Aug;211(2):232-8.
- Ozturk E, da Luz Moreira A, Vogel JD. Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Colectomy: The learning curve is for operative speed, not for quality. Colorectal Dis. 2010 Jan 12.
- Campos-Lobato LF, Wells B, Wick E, Pronty K, Kiran R, Remzi F, Vogel JD. Predicting organ space surgical site infection with a nomogram. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009 Nov;13(11):1986-92.
- Hand-assisted laparoscopic colectomy: benefits of laparoscopic colectomy at no extra cost. Ozturk E, Kiran RP, Geisler DP, Hull TL, Vogel JD. J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Aug;209(2):242-7. Epub 2009 May 28.
- Baker ME, Walter J, Obuchowski NA, Achkar JP, Einstein D, Veniero JC, Vogel J, Stocchi L. Mural attenuation in normal small bowel and active inflammatory Crohn's disease on CT enterography: location, absolute attenuation, relative attenuation, and the effect of wall thickness. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Feb;192(2):417-23.
- Moreira AL, Vogel JD, Baker M, Mor I, Zhang R, Fazio VF. Does CT Influence the Decision to Perform Colectomy in Patients with Severe Ulcerative Colitis? J Gastrointest Surg. 2009 Mar;13(3):504-7.
- Wick EC, Vogel JD., Church JM, Remzi F, Fazio VW. Surgical Site Infections in a “High Outlier” Institution: Are Colorectal Surgeons to Blame? Dis Colon Rectum. 2009 Mar;52(3):374-9.
- Sanchez JA, Vogel JD, Kalady MF, Bronner MP, Skacel M, Church JM. Identifying Lynch Syndrome: We Are All Responsible. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008 Dec;51(12):1750-6
- Mor IJ, Vogel JD, Moreira AL, Shen B, Hammel J, Remzi F. Infliximab in Ulcerative Colitis Is Associated with an Increased Risk of Post-operative Complications after Restorative Proctocolectomy. Dis Colon Rectum 2008 Aug;51(8):1202-7
- Koh PK, Doumit J, Downs-Kelly E, Bronner MP, Salimi R, Fazio VW, Vogel JD. Ileo-anal j-pouch cancer: an unusual case in an unusual location. Tech Coloproctol. 2008 Jun 10
- Moreira A, Vogel JD, Kalady M, et al. Fever Evaluations after Colorectal Surgery: Identification of Risk Factors that Increase Yield and Decrease Cost. Dis Colon and Rectum, 2008 May;51(5):508-13
- Vogel JD, Moreira A, Baker M, Hammel J, Einstein D, Stocchi L, Fazio V. CT enterography for Crohn’s Disease: Accurate Preoperative Imaging. Dis Colon and Rectum, 2007;50(11):1761-9.
- Fiocchi C, Ina K, Danese S, Leite AZ, Vogel JD. Alterations of mesenchymal and endothelial cells in inflammatory bowel diseases. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006;579:168-76.
- Vogel JD, West G, Danese S, de la Motte C, Phillips M, Strong SA, Willis J, Fiocchi C. CD40-mediated immune-nonimmune cell interactions trigger mucosal fibroblast chemokine production leading to T-cell microvascular transmigration. Gastroenterology, 2004;126(1):63-80
- Vogel JD, Yeo CJ. Case Report: Choledochal Cyst or Pancreatic (Retention) Cyst? J Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2003;7(6):754-7
- Danese S, de la Motte C, Sturm A, Vogel JD, West GA, Strong SA, Katz JA, Fiocchi C. Platelets Trigger a CD40-dependent inflammatory process in the microvasculature of inflammatory bowel disease patients. Gastroenterology 2003;124(5):1249-64
- Albo D, Berger DH, Vogel JD, Tuszynski GP. Thrombospondin-1 and Transforming Growth Factor Beta-1 Up-regulate Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor Type 1 in Pancreatic Cancer. J Gastrointestinal Surgery 1999;3(4):411-417
- Vogel JD, Brodsky JT. Extended Resection for Adenocarcinoma of the Body of the Pancreas. Contemporary Surgery 1998;52(3): 205-207
Publications: Book Chapters, other non-peer reviewed
- George B, Guy R, Jones J, Vogel J (Editors): Colorectal Surgery: Clinical Care and Management. Wiley Blackwell, 2016
- Martin ST, Vogel JD. Restorative Procedures in Colonic Crohn Disease. Clinics in Colon & Rectal Surgery 2013:26(2);100-5
- Martin ST, Vogel JD. Intestinal stomas: indications, management, and complications. Adv Surg. 2012;46:19-49.
- Martin ST and Vogel JD. Complicated Diverticulitis. In Dimick JB, Upchurch GR, and Sonnenday CJ, eds. Clinical Scenarios in Surgery. Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer Liipincott Williams and Wilkins, 2012.
- Campos-Lobato LF, Vogel JD. Enterocutaneous fistula associated with malignancy and prior radiation therapy. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery 2010
- Vogel JD. Rectum and anus. In: Makary MA, ed. General Surgery Review. Washington, DC: Ladner-Drysdale; 2007:329-339.
- Vogel JD, Church JM. Post-operative endoscopic surveillance in FAP and HNPCC. In: Wicox, MC, Kochman ML, eds. Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. New York, Elsevier, 2006.
- Vogel JD, Cornwell EE III. Rectal Injuries In: Cameron JL, ed. Current Surgical Therapy. St. Louis, Mosby, 2004
- Fiocchi C, Ina K, Danese S, Leite AA, Vogel JD. Alterations of the Mucosal Immune System in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Mesenchymal and Endothelial Cells. In Neurath M, Blumberg RS, eds. Immune Mechanisms in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Georgetown, Landes Bioscience , 2003
- Vogel JD, Yeo CJ. Management of a pancreatic pseudocyst. In: van Heerden JA, Farley DR, eds. Operative Techniques in General Surgery. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders, 2002.
- Vogel JD, Yeo CJ. Acute Pancreatitis. In: Zuidema GD, Yeo CJ, eds. Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, 5th Ed. Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Co., 2002
- Vogel JD. Suture Material. In: Chen H, Sonnenday CJ, eds. Manual of Common Bedside Surgical Procedures, 2nd Ed. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkins Publishers, 2000