ON BOARD ADVANCED
THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTRE, BELFAST
16 September 2016
0900 Registration and tea/coffee
0915 Introduction to the programme
· Why ‘Advanced’?
· Course objectives
· An effective board - refresher
0945 Board composition, development and performance
· Board composition
· Identifying and meeting individual and corporate needs
Ø Appraising the performance of the Chair and board members
Ø Strategic development sessions
· Professional conduct of board business
· Reviewing board performance and effectiveness
· Board committee structure
1115 Strategic leadership
· Ensuring clarity of purpose and delivery of the mandate
· Setting a clear strategic direction for the organisation
· Agreeing KPIs and KQIs – the right ones!
· Evaluating the success and overall impact of the organisation
1215 Performance management
· Reporting progress against KPIs and KQIs – a graduated and stratified approach to performance reporting
· Getting the right information
· How does the board get the appropriate level of assurance?
· Ensuring effective oversight of key business risks
1415 Governance and compliance
· Ensuring compliance with your corporate governance framework
· Ensuring clarity of roles between executives and non-executives
Ø How effective is your Framework of Strategic Control?
Ø “Going into the engine room without touching the controls”
Ø Exercising a constructive challenge function
· Are your organisation’s values operating effectively throughout the organisation? And how will you know?
1515 Stakeholder engagement
· Obtaining objective feedback from stakeholders and using it!
· Managing relationships with key stakeholders
· Managing the political interface
1615 Action planning