Job Title:Accounting CoordinatorWage/Hour Status: Exempt
Reports to:Executive Director-Business ServicesPay Grade: 413 (226 Calendar)
Dept./School:Business ServicesDate Revised: 09/01/2013
Supervise and perform general accounting work relating to the preparation, administration, and control of the district financial resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance-related field
- Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing principles established by the Governmental Accounting System Board (GASB)
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Ability to analyze and evaluate accounting problems, develop data, and recommend improved procedures
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems
- Ability to use personal computer and software to develop complex accounting reports, spreadsheets, and databases
- Ability to work with numbers in an accurate and rapid manner
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Five years accounting experience at a high level of responsibility
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain the general ledger and prepare journal entries and budget transfers.
- Prepare income balance sheets, statements, consolidated statements, and other statements and reports.
- Classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records using journals and ledgers or computer.
- Prepare, enter, and record disbursement of district funds.
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, proper codes, and budget availability.
- Prepare bank deposits by compiling data, verifying and balancing receipts, and sending cash, checks, or other forms of payment to banks.
- Reconcile records of bank transactions.
- Set up and maintain account controls, logs, and files.
- Review and verify accuracy of journal entries, accounting methods, and procedures.
- Debit, credit, and total accounts on computer spreadsheets and databases using specialized accounting software.
- Work directly with external auditors during annual and/or unscheduled special-purpose audits.
- Supervise accounting staff and provide leadership in the provision and maintenance of timely, accurate and appropriate data.
- Work with administrators, principals, directors, and staff regarding budget and accounting issues.
Records and Reports:
- Record, store, and analyze information using accounting software.
- Prepare timely audit schedules and financial statements according to federal, state, and GASB standards.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required, including auditable records and financial statements.
- Assign work to accounting staff and other employees engaged in accounting activities.
- The Principal or his/her designee may assign other duties and accountabilities limited to those consistent with the applicable job function and pay grade.
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
Supervise all accounting staff and financial records.
Personal computer, printer, fax machine, copier, and calculator.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Demands:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Repetitive hand motions; prolonged use of computer.
Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Employee Signature Date
Copyright 6/15/2004 Texas Association of School Boards. All rights reserved.