Comprehension Questions for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- What point of view is the story written in?
- How did Huck become wealthy and how much money does he have?
- Is Huck superstitious? Explain.
- Who does Huck live with?
- Who is Jim?
- What trick does Tom play on Jim? What does this say about Tom?
- What story does Jim tell to explain Tom’s trick?
- What is “Tom Sawyer’s Gang”?
- How does Huck feel about prayer?
- What kind of father was Pap Finn?
- How effective is Tom Sawyer’s Gang?
- How does Huck know he will have a bad day?
- What does Huck do with his property? Why?
- Who does Huck go to in order to ask about his future?
- What is Huck’s fortune and who foretells it?
- Who is sitting in Huck’s room when he gets home?
- What does Pap look like?
- Why is Pap upset with Huck?
- What does Pap want from Huck? Can Huck give it to him?
- What is the new judge’s decision about Huck?
- Is Pap a reformed man?
- Where does Pap take Huck?
- Does Huck like living with Pap? Why or why not?
- Does Huck want to be civilized?
- What does Pap complain about?
- What happens after Pap gets drunk?
- What does Huck find?
- How does Huck escape?
- Where does Huck go?
- Who else is on the island? Why?
- What other superstitions are we introduced to?
- Where do Huck and Jim find shelter?
- What are some of the things they find that are useful?
- What does Huck do that brings bad luck? What happens?
- What does Huck decide to do when he gets bored?
- What does Huck where?
- Who does Huck see?
- What information does the woman provide?
- Who is suspected of “killing” Huck?
- Does Huck fool the woman?
- What advice does the woman give?
- What do Jim and Huck do to modify the raft?
- What do they see on the river? How do Huck and Jim’s opinions differ?
- What does Huck witness?
- What happens to the raft?
- How do Huck and Jim get off the steamboat?
- What do Huck and Jim find?
- What story does Huck tell the watchman? Why?
- What happens to the crashed steamboat? How does Huck feel about this?
- Jim and Huck argue about King Solomon. Who is King Solomon? What are Jim and Huck’s differing opinions?
- Jim and Huck also argue about languages. What is each of their positions on language?
- What is the weather like? Why is this problematic?
- What lie does Huck tell Jim?
- What happens after Jim realizes that Huck lied to him?
- As Huck and Jim get closer to Cairo, Huck starts to think. What is his problem?
- What does Jim say he will do when he is free?
- Why won’t the two men help Huck?
- What is the conflict of Huck’s conscience?
- What happens to the raft?
- Who does Huck stay with?
- Who do they dislike?
- Who is Buck?
- Who is Emmeline Grangerford? What did she do that Huck finds interesting?
- What is Col. Grangerford like?
- How would you describe the Grangerfords?
- What is a feud?
- What does Miss Sophia ask Huck to do for her?
- What has Jim been doing while Huck lived with the Grangerfords?
- What happened to Miss Sophia? What happens to the Grangerfords because of this?
- What is life like on the raft?
- Who do Jim and Huck meet? How and why?
- What are these men like?
- Does Huck believe them?
- How does Huck explain Jim to the men?
- Where are the townspeople?
- What does the King do involving the townspeople? What is the result of this?
- What does the Duke do to protect Jim and allow daytime travel?
- Why do Huck, the King, and the Duke go into town?
- Who is Boggs? Sherburn? What does Sherburn do to upset the townspeople?
- What does Sherburn say to the mob? How do they react?
- What trick is played at the circus?
- What statement does the Duke put on the sign to draw a crowd to the show?
- Is the statement successful in drawing a crowd?
- What is ironic about the outcome of the show?
- What happens on the third night of the show?
- What is Jim’s opinion of the King and Duke?
- What story does Jim tell about his daughter?
- What is the Duke’s solution to leaving Jim tied up on the raft?
- Who are the King and Duke pretending to be? Why?
- Are they successful in their deception of the townspeople?
- What is wrong with the sack of money? How do the King and Duke react and what is their solution to this problem?
- What do they decide to do with the money?
- Who does not believe them?
- What does Mary Jane do with the money?
- Why does Huck begin to feel bad for deceiving the sisters?
- What does Huck decide to do?
- What is the King and Duke’s plan?
- Where does the money end up?
- Is it discovered?
- What does Huck tell the King he saw? What is the result of this?
- What out-of-character thing does Huck do?
- Why must Mary Jane leave?
- Who shows up during the auction?
- How does the lawyer attempt to determine who the real brothers are? Does it work?
- How does the real brother try to expose the frauds? Is he successful?
- Is Huck able to escape the King and Duke?
- What happens between the King and Duke?
- How is business for the two scammers?
- What do Huck and Jim decide to do?
- What goes wrong with their plan?
- Huck has two choices. What are they and what does he decide to do?
- Where does Huck go?
- Who does he pretend to be?
- Who does Huck meet on the road?
- Who does Tom pretend to be?
- What happens to the King and Duke? How does Huck feel about this?
- Where is Jim being held?
- What is Tom’s plan for freeing Jim?
- What is “escaping properly”?
- What do you think about this?
- Does Tom’s plan work?
- What adjustments are made to the plan?
- How do Aunt Sally and Uncle Silas explain the missing items?
- What do Tom and Huck do to antagonize Aunt Sally?
- What else does Jim need to properly escape?
- What do Tom and Huck steal?
- What dos Tom think will give Jim glory?
- How would you describe Tom’s personality?
- What do tom and Huck collect to put in Jim’s shack?
- What does Tom write? Why?
- How do the boys’ actions affect the family?
- What is the result of the letters?
- How do Huck, Tom, and Jim escape?
- What happens to Tom?
- Who does Huck accidentally run into? What does he tell him?
- What is the scene at the house? How does Aunt Sally react to Huck?
- How does Huck feel about Aunt Sally?
- Who shows up at the house?
- What does the doctor think of Jim?
- What surprise does Tom reveal?
- Who shows up to reveal the boys’ true identities?
- What happens to Jim?
- What does Tom give Jim and why?
- What happened to Pap Finn?
- What will happen to Huck?