MINIBUS DRIVER/PASSENGER ASSISTANT
(Community clubs for older people with extra support needs)
ZERO HOURS CONTRACT
SALARY: £ 7.35 plus 0.93 holiday entitlement per hour
LOCATION: Newhaven base and journeys as directed
HOURS: to be available on Mondays (except Bank Holidays) between 7.30 and 17.30
(possibility of additional hours/days as the service develops)
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Team Leader Community Navigators and Clubs
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Vehicles and passengers
PURPOSE: The safe transportation of passengers travelling to & from Community Clubs and planned trips. Assisting and supporting passengers as and when required including time spent at clubs and external venues.
The driver must have, or be prepared, to undertake relevant training and be prepared to undertake a DBS check.
1. To observe the Highway Code and any statutory requirements relating to driving vehicles owned or leased by the organisation.
2. To carry out the required daily defect reporting to the line manager.
3. To maintain the vehicle in a clean and presentable condition, inside and out, rectifying minor faults such as bulbs and fuses immediately they occur.
4. To ensure that fully operational first aid boxes and fire extinguishers are carried on the vehicle at all times.
5. To act in a courteous, patient and helpful manner to passengers, other road users and members of the public at all times.
6. To drive with due consideration for the safety and comfort of passengers, ensuring that passengers conform to seat belt regulations and that the correct wheelchair securing procedures are undertaken.
7. To ensure that wheelchairs are in a transportable condition and to refuse transport to those which do not conform to legislation: using the agreed procedure.
8. To ensure that all wheelchair restraints, winches, lifts and any other relevant equipment is in good working order and used in accordance with instructions.
9. To keep up to date with all procedures and instructions for using equipment.
10. To assist passengers in safe entry to and exit from the vehicle.
11. To assist & support clients on planned trips as and when required.
12. To ensure passengers reach the correct destination safely and to witness their entry into the premises if at all possible.
13. To adhere to Age UK East Sussex policies and procedures, Standards of Conduct, and especially to the Equal Opportunities Policy and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy.
14. To be familiar with and adhere to Health and Safety policies and procedures.
15. To feedback to the line manager concerns about anything that may compromise the safety of both passengers and drivers. eg overbooking, problematic users and inappropriate behaviour.
16. To promote good relations with colleagues – paid staff and volunteers, passengers and members of the public.
This job description may change depending on the needs of the organisation in consultation with the post holder.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
• High standard of driving ability
• Good communication skills
• Friendly and caring attitude
• Ability to remain calm under pressure
• A non-judgmental attitude
• Flexible approach and a good sense of humour
• Ability to relate to client/customer need
• Problem solving abilities
• Self-motivated and ability to work independently
• Strong Team player
• An enthusiastic and positive approach
• Tact and diplomacy
• Effective time management and personal organisational skills
• Knowledge of the Highway Code
• Working with older or disabled people
• No specific formal academic qualifications are required.
• A Full clean UK driving licence
• An awareness of equality and diversity issues.
• A good standard of literacy and numeracy.
• Knowledge of the geography of East Sussex