Also known by its brand names: Equal; Equal-Measure; NutraSweet; Spoonful
Artificial Sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than Sugar.
Aspartame Contains these Substances
Amino Acids: Aspartic Acid
Toxic Effects of Aspartame
Aspartame can cause Tachycardia.
Aspartame is strongly suspected of causing Brain Cancer [scientific research - animals consuming Aspartame have a much higher incidence of Brain Cancer and researchers have noted a significant increase in human Brain Cancer since the introduction of Aspartame onto the market].
Aspartame can cause Fatigue.
Aspartame can cause Joint Pain.
Aspartame can cause Anxiety.
Aspartame can cause Convulsions.
Aspartame can cause Deafness.
Aspartame can cause Depression.
Aspartame can cause Headaches [scientific research - humans].
Aspartame can cause Insomnia.
Aspartame can cause Irritability.
Aspartame can cause Memory impairment.
Aspartame can cause Migraine [scientific research - humans].
Aspartame can cause Nausea.
Aspartame can cause Neuralgia (due to Methanol).
Aspartame can cause Neuritis (due to Methanol).
Aspartame can cause Neuropathy (due to Methanol).
Aspartame can cause Numbness.
Aspartame can damage the Optic Nerve and eventually cause Blindness
Aspartame can cause Speech Impairment.
Aspartame can cause loss of the sense of Taste.
Aspartame can cause Tinnitus.
Aspartame can cause Vertigo.
Aspartame can cause Asthma and exacerbate existing Asthma
Contraindications - Aspartame Exacerbates these Ailments
Persons afflicted with Lymphomas should not consume Aspartame as Aspartame can further exacerbate Lymphomas.
Persons afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease should not consume Aspartame as Aspartame can further exacerbate Alzheimer's Disease.
Persons afflicted with Epilepsy should not consume Aspartame as Aspartame can further exacerbate Epilepsy [scientific research - humans].
Persons afflicted with Parkinson's Disease should not consume Aspartame as Aspartame can further exacerbate Parkinson's Disease.
Asthma and Aspartame
· Asthma from aspartame. Cortlandt Forum. 116:36-49, 1991.
Brain Cancer and Aspartame
· Roberts, H. J., et al. Does aspartame cause human brain cancer? Journal of Advancement of Medicine. 4(4):231-241, 1991.
Epilepsy and Aspartame
· Camfield, P. R., et al. Aspartame exacerbates EEG spike-wave discharge in children with generalized absence epilepsy: A double-blind controlled study. Neurology: 42:1000-1003, 1992.
Headache and Aspartame
· Van Den Eeden, S. K., et al Aspartame ingestion and headaches: A randomized, crossover trial. Neurology. 44:1787- 1793, 1994.
Migraine and Aspartame
· Koehler, S. M., et al. The effect of aspartame on migraine headache. Headache. 28:10-14, 1988.
Parkinson’s Disease and Aspartame
· Bell, I. R., et al. Irritable and specific food intolerances in Parkinson's disease. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 12(5):615/Abstract 125, 1993.
Copyright 1997 In-Tele-Health