Application for a road closure under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 within the district of North Hertfordshire.
A road closure under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 is limited only to short term closures due to public processions, rejoicing or illuminations. Where these result in public gathering leading to obstruction of the roads, the approval of North Hertfordshire District Council is required. Therefore, this procedure is entirely appropriate for parades.
If your event does not fall within the above categories, please contact Network Management North, Hertfordshire County Council, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG13 8DN or email or
If you wish to apply to North Hertfordshire District Council for a road closure under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 please complete the details below.
Event detailsName of event
Date of event
Organiser detailsName of organisation
Contact telephone number(s)
Road closure requirements
· A Map or Plan must be attached, with the proposed road closure or the route of the procession clearly marked and include details of all proposed signs (i.e. road ahead closed, road closed, diversion route etc.)
· If closure is for a procession and the return route is different from outward route please state both routes separately.What is the objective of this event?
Is this event of a commercial nature? Y/N
Is it intended to place structures on any carriageway? Y/N
Have you consulted with residents and businesses likely to be affected Y/N
Route to be closed (state the names or numbers of all roads to be closed)
Date of closure
· Once the road closure is approved by North Hertfordshire District Council it is the responsibility of the organiser to display public notices for at least two weeks prior to the road closure. These notices will be supplied by North Hertfordshire District Council. Two notices are to be fixed, one each side of each end of each street and at regular intervals, say 50 metres or so apart along each side of the streets.How many notices do you require?
Hertfordshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire County Council approval
· Before applying to North Hertfordshire District Council, you must first obtain the written approval of Hertfordshire Constabulary and Hertfordshire County Council for your proposals. Please supply copies of letters of approval from these two organisations with your application. Road closures will not be approved without these letters.
Contact: Hertfordshire Constabulary by writing to PC Edward Matthews, Traffic Planning Officer, Hertfordshire Constabulary, Events Department, Lytton Way, Stevenage, SG1 1HF or by email
Hertfordshire County Council by writing to Network Management North, Hertfordshire County Council, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG13 8DN
Cost of road closure
· The cost of a road closure is £25. Please make a cheque payable to North Hertfordshire District Council and enclose with your application. This charge does not apply to the Royal British Legion Remembrance Day Parades.
Public Liability insurance
· You must supply documentation to prove that you have public liability insurance for a minimum of £10m.
I hereby apply for a road closure under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847.Name
· Please ensure your application is sent to North Hertfordshire District Council at least 3 months before the event to allow sufficient time for it to be dealt with to: Mrs Lorrae Hunter, Safety Advisory Group Project Officer, North Hertfordshire District Council, Council Offices, Gernon Road, Letchworth Garden City, SG6 3JF. Email . Telephone 01462 474528
For Office UseMap / HCC approval / Police approval / Cheque / Insurance
Road closure authorised by : / Date:
Order & Notices prepared by: / Date:
Date posted to applicant: