2.Name the Glial Cells of the CNS and Their Function
Unit 3 Exam Review
Iowa State University / Leader: / Maura
Course: / Bio 255
Instructor: / Haen & Manz
Date: / 10/24/17
1.Make a diagram of the functional organization of the nervous system including the following terms: CNS, PNS, afferent NS, efferent NS, sympathetic, somatic sensory, parasympathetic, visceral sensory, somatic motor, autonomic motor
2.Name the glial cells of the CNS and their function:
3.What’s the glial cell in the PNS that is the same as oligodendrocytes?
4. What are the basic steps that occur in transmission in a synapse?
5.Sensory is the same as ______, motor is the same as ______and interneuron is the same as ______fibers______. Sensory neurons transmit impulses from/to sensory receptors from/to CNS. Motor neurons transmits impulses from/to CNS from/to skeletal muscles and glands.
6.Association fibers make up ______% of neurons in the body
7.Describe how regeneration of nervous tissue occurs in the CNS and the PNS
8.Where is CSF found/around what meninges and how is it formed and circulated?
9. In the spinal cord there are enlargements at the ______and ______regions. The first innervates ______limbs and the second innervates ______limbs.
10. Describe what occurs at the following areas of the cerebral cortex
Primary motor cortex:
Primary somatosensory area:
Somatosensory association area:
Primary visual area:
Visual association area:
Primary auditory area:
Auditory association area:
Primary olfactory area:
Primary gustatory area:
11. What sense in humans is not relayed through the thalamus?
12. True or False:
Each muscle receives a nerve supply from more than one spinal nerve, so damage to one spinal nerve doesn’t completely paralyze a muscle.
13. What kind of neurotransmitters are used in the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system?
14. The following receptors are classified by the stimulus type. Indicated which stimulus each receptor responds to.
15. List the lobes or the cerebrum and their general function
16. Compare the size of preganglionic and postganglionic neurons in the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system.
17.Autonomic reflexes target what kind of muscle? Why?
18. Afferent neurons carry ______to the ______.
19. Which central nervous system neuroglial cells make scar tissue and stop neuron regeneration?
20. CSF is resorbed to the blood at the:
b. choroid plexus
21.The lateral gray horn of the spinal cord:
a. contains sensory neuron cell bodies stimulating proprioceptors
b. contains motor neuron cell bodies stimulating smooth and cardiac muscles
c. contains motor neuron cell bodies stimulating skeletal muscles
d. contains motor neuron axons stimulating skeletal muscles
22. The anterior and lateral white columns of the spinal cord are made of:
a. transverse tracts
b. ascending tracts
c. descending tracts
d. ascending and descending tracts.
23. Which cerebral hemisphere is associated with scientific and problem solving skills dealing with numbers?
24. If the central root of a spinal nerve was cut, what would be the result in the tissue or area that the nerve usually supplied to?
a. loss of voluntary sensory sensation
b. loss of voluntary motor movement
c. loss of involuntary motor movement
d. loss of involuntary sensory sensation
25. A dermatome is:
a. area of skin innervated of mechanoreceptors
b. area of skin innervated by a spinal nerve
c. area of skin that contains nerve damage
d. another term for a nerve plexus
26. Skeletal muscle is innervated by the:
a. autonomic nervous system
b. sympathetic nervous system
c. somatic nervous system
d. visceral nervous system
27. What is the function of the dural sinus?
a. produce CSF
b. drain blood from the brain
c. circulate blood through the brain
d. circulates CSF
28. Sympathetic nervous system is characterized by peripheral ganglia near the
a. effector and short postganglionic fibers
b. skeletal muscles and short postganglionic fiber
c. spinal cord and long postganglionic fibers
d. spinal cord and short postganglionic fibers
29. Which is not innervated by the autonomic nervous system:
a. smooth muscle
c. cardiac muscle
d. skeletal muscle
30. The exterior of the cerebrum consists of ______while majority of the interior consists of ______.
a. white matter; gray matter
b. gray matter; white matter
c. sensory neurons; motor neurons
d. voluntary control; involuntary control