#:______ / 3
16.1 PowerPoint Notes
1. Which was the oldest and most important of these three provinces?
2. What influenced the Spanish settlers in the New Mexico province?
3. In what ways did the Pueblo Indians influence the Spanish settlers in the New Mexico province?
4. In what ways did the Spanish influence the Indians in the New Mexico province?
5. What was the center of life in California under Spanish rule?
6. Describe the Mission system in California.
7. Describe Mission life.
8. Define Californios
9. How did the Californios feel living in this part of Spanish Mexico?
10. How were the Missions in California different than the Missions in Texas?
11. Why were Spanish settlers reluctant to move to Texas?
12. Who were the Tejanos?
13. What did they help develop in Texas?
15. What events led to the establishment of the republic of Mexico?
16. Who led a revolt against the Spanish in Mexico, 1820?
17. Why did they rebel?
18. What happened to this rebellion?
19. Who continued the revolution?
20. Who finished Mexico’s revolution?
21. Which present day states made up this new Republic of Mexico?
22. What happened in 1833 to the Mission system in California?
23. How did the Mexican war for independence affect California and Texas?
24. Which statement is true?
a) In California, presidios were the center of colonial society.
b) In California, missions were the center of colonial society.
25. Which statement is true?
a) Much of the labor on California mission lands was done by American Indians.
b) Much of the labor on California mission lands was done by enslaved Africans.
26. Which statement is true?
a) Spanish-Mexicans, Spanish settlers in Texas, developed an extensive mission system in Texas.
b) Tejanos, Spanish settlers in Texas, developed a cattle-ranching society in Texas.
27. Which statement is true?
a) Father Hidalgo led Mexican rebels in a revolt against Spanish rule in New Spain.
b) Father Hidalgo defeated the Spanish and made himself emperor of Mexico.
28. Which statement is true?
a) Agustín de Iturbide was the most popular ruler that Mexico has ever known.
b) Soon after Agustín de Iturbide took power, the army forced him out of office.
29. Which statement is true?
a) The Mexican Constitution of 1824 declared Mexico to be a colony of Spain.
b) The Mexican Constitution of 1824 declared Mexico to be a republic.