INTERIM ASSESSMENT. The 8th form
1. Circle the odd one out. Вычеркни лишнее слово.
1) water skiing, run, skiing, ball
2) An igloo, a tent, home, a palace
3) slowly, simply, heavily, good
4) a skyscraper, a palace, a boat, a tent
5) slowly, simply, good, nicely
2. Choose the right variant. Выберите правильный вариант.
1) You haven’t found the bag to match this coat, have you/ haven’t you?
2) Both of us like/likes reading about new inventions.
3) The trainers is/ are expensive at this shoe shop.
4) The/ --- Moscow is the capital of Russia.
5) The birthday child / children receives the crown on a birthday in Holland.
6) My friends have a beautiful/ beautifully cat.
7) He was/ were born in Moscow.
8) We can buy fruits at the greengrocer’s/ chemist’s.
9) A boat that can be lived in is called a tent/ a houseboat.
10) At the book shop we can/must buy books.
3. Choose the right variant. Выберите правильный вариант.
1) I like listening to ……rock music.
a ) the b) an c) ---
2) I …… been playing football for four years.
a)has b) have c) am
3) She likes …….comedies.
a)the b) a c) ___
4. He drives ……...
a) care b) careful c) carefully
5) She ……… the guitar every day.
a)plays b) play c) to play
4. Read the text and write down if the sentence true(T) , false(F), not stated (NS). Прочитайте текст и напишите верные или ложные утверждения либо не указаны в тексте.
Nowadays it's almost impossible to imagine our life without books. Perhaps, there are more books on our planet than men alive.
Long before the invention of printing people valued books as treasure troves of the human knowledge and experience. Hand — written manuscripts took months of writing and were collected by and kept in monasteries with utmost care. We can distinguish books between three classes of them.
Firstly, books on different branches of knowledge, works by brilliant minds of mankind. Secondly, textbooks, reference books and numerous dictionaries. And at last, books of all kinds and genres to read at leisure.
Classics should be taken a little at a time. One's understanding of books by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, Mopassan and Balzak depends on one's age and experience.
Serious books are to be read conscientiously and maybe more than once. To a thinking reader they will provide new food for thought every time he reads it. Many people indulge in reading science fiction, fantasy or detective stories. Of course, there are some advantages and disadvantages of this kind of literature, often reffered to as «easy reading».
Good science fiction and fantasy develop imagination, logical thinking, broaden one's outlook.
The same could be said in favour of detective stories. They reveal such minute details of everyday life in this or that particular country that are of greatest interest for a curious reader. The masterpieces of this genre by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and others, show the depths of psychological analysis, the insight into the human nature.
As an old saying goes, man cannot live on bread alone. Books are the source of knowledge and the means of self — perfection. Sometimes it is difficult to solve some problems in life. I think that books can help us. Books must be our friends during all our life.
1) One's understanding of books by Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, Mopassan and Balzak depends on one's age and experience.
2) Time heals all wounds.
3) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and others, show the depths of psychological analysis, the insight into the human nature.
4) Good science fiction and fantasy don’t develop imagination, logical thinking, broaden one's outlook. False
5) Books are worth reading.